The Student Room Group

Is waiting on roundabout a fail in the test?

Supposing I m going right (3rd exit), what if I cant change lane in the roundabout in time (from right to left) to exit it, should I wait in the middle for others to pass or go round again to make the left turn? If I wait in the middle of the road, will it be a fail in the test?
Just exit on the right lane.

Then move over to the left when it’s safe to do so.

Waiting in the middle then trying to change lane, whilst there are cars behind you, is an automatic fail on the test.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by TriplexA
Hi there.

Go round again as roundabouts are there for traffic flow :smile:

Best wishes.

but I watched instructor videos where they waited (3-4 sec) until the car behind got past them and then they exit on the 3rd.
If you need to exit the roundabout but find that there is someone coming up on your inside you have a number of options:

1 Accelerate if it's safe to open up a space for you to move over
2 Allow the other driver to pass before you move over (but on no account stop or loiter in the roundabout)
3 Exit into the right hand lane if there is one then go back to the left as soon as it's safe
4 Go around the roundabout a second time

Any of these would be acceptable, but you can avoid having to make these decisions by making sure that keep up enough progress so that drivers are not tempted to come up your inside in the first place. Also, make sure that you use your mirrors early enough to give you the time to judge and make sure that your exit signal is properly timed - https://www.ukdrivingskills.co.uk/learning-to-drive/turn-right-at-a-roundabout/
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by slartibartfast4
If you need to exit the roundabout but find that there is someone coming up on your inside you have a number of options:

1 Accelerate if it's safe to open up a space for you to move over
2 Allow the other driver to pass before you move over (but on no account stop or loiter in the roundabout)
3 Exit into the right hand lane if there is one then go back to the left as soon as it's safe
4 Go around the roundabout a second time

Any of these would be acceptable, but you can avoid having to make these decisions by making sure that keep up enough progress so that drivers are not tempted to come up your inside in the first place. Also, make sure that you use your mirrors early enough to give you the time to judge and make sure that your exit signal is properly timed - https://www.ukdrivingskills.co.uk/learning-to-drive/turn-right-at-a-roundabout/

thank u very much, can u tell me if its a FAIL in the test if I take the right lane in the exit (and change lane later)?
Original post by drkfuture
thank u very much, can u tell me if its a FAIL in the test if I take the right lane in the exit (and change lane later)?

Sorry for the late reply, but it's fine to exit in the right hand lane providing you don't stay there so long that people start passing on your left. You should return to the left as soon as it's safe.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending