WJEC Chem Practical Endorsement Pass

Watch this thread
katStev
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, my daughter has a conditional offer to study Chemistry and says she has to pass the practical. From what I can see the practical endorsement outside wales is assessed through a minimum of12 practicals throughout the course by the teacher. Is this the same in Wales or is the pass based on the Unit 5 practical exam? Assuming if it’s the exam the she’d need to get a grade E in that element….is this correct?
Last edited by katStev; 4 weeks ago
JA03
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by katStev)
Hi, my daughter has a conditional offer to study Chemistry and says she has to pass the practical. From what I can see the practical endorsement outside wales is assessed through a minimum of12 practicals throughout the course by the teacher. Is this the same in Wales or is the pass based on the Unit 5 practical exam? Assuming if it’s the exam the she’d need to get a grade E in that element….is this correct?
if it's an endorsement, it's not graded from A* to E, it's pass or fail. I don't do WJEC A-Level Chemistry but I do A-Level Chemistry OCR A and we also have a practical endorsement where we have to complete a minimum of 12 practicals which is pass or fail.
I'm not sure of WJEC, but the specification should say what percentage of exams and endorsements contribute to the final grade so I would recommend looking at that. if it turns out to be assessed outside of exams, it means that your daughter does it in lessons instead of an exam hall and it's a pass or fail thing.

when it's pass or fail, it means she must pass ALL of the practicals she completed because if she fails even just 1, then she fails the whole practical endorsement.
corktrees
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JA03)
if it's an endorsement, it's not graded from A* to E, it's pass or fail. I don't do WJEC A-Level Chemistry but I do A-Level Chemistry OCR A and we also have a practical endorsement where we have to complete a minimum of 12 practicals which is pass or fail.
I'm not sure of WJEC, but the specification should say what percentage of exams and endorsements contribute to the final grade so I would recommend looking at that. if it turns out to be assessed outside of exams, it means that your daughter does it in lessons instead of an exam hall and it's a pass or fail thing.

when it's pass or fail, it means she must pass ALL of the practicals she completed because if she fails even just 1, then she fails the whole practical endorsement.
That's not how it works for wjec it is graded from A* to E
katStev
Rep:
(Original post by corktrees)
That's not how it works for wjec it is graded from A* to E
So is it just one overall grade or is there a separate grade for the practical part?
corktrees
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by katStev)
So is it just one overall grade or is there a separate grade for the practical part?
there are 2 practical exams which have their own grade boundaries from A*-E then one overall chem grade
katStev
Rep:
(Original post by corktrees)
there are 2 practical exams which have their own grade boundaries from A*-E then one overall chem grade
Thankyou
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (17)
29.82%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
38.6%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.51%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.26%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
7.02%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.28%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.75%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.75%

Watched Threads