Sheffield, Southampton or Bristol?

Watch this thread
Purple43Monkey
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Apologies if this is the wrong place to be posting this!
I have offers for BM5 at Sheffield, Southampton and Bristol and am really struggling to pick which one to firm. I’d really appreciate any advice or opinions!
If anyone knows about pastoral support I’d be interested to know as I’m currently dealing with a chronic pain condition and have had some mental health difficulties previously.

Here are my current thoughts:

Sheffield
- furthest away from home
- very friendly city
- could be nice to move out of the south
- med school attached to hospital
- excellent SU
- cheap cost of living
- doesn’t feel too city like
- full body dissection
- didn't do well on student satisfaction on NSS

Southampton
- closest to home
- get a BMedSci in 3rd year and can also intercalate
- campus has quite a small feel - is it too small?
- hospital 20 mins away from campus
- haven’t seen much of the city itself
- more options for types of accommodation
- expensive cost of living
- liked the interview

Bristol
- best reputation (not that bothered about this for medicine)
- vibrant city (not sure how I feel about this as I’ve heard people compare Bristol to London and I find London way too overwhelming and busy and would like to avoid that)
- expensive cost of living
- enjoyed the offer holder day (I did at all of them, but I’d sort of discounted Bristol before going and then I actually liked it which is why this decision is so much harder!)
-poor reputation for pastoral support/mental health
- best results for student satisfaction according to NSS
Last edited by Purple43Monkey; 4 weeks ago
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Southampton because of the BMedSci, that's the only thing that's "tangible" and I would go for them.
Purple43Monkey
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I was thinking about intercalating anyway so I don't want to just choose because of the extra degree because as a teacher pointed out to me, do you really need 3 degrees?

Does anyone have any other ideas, or any suggestions for how I should decide? I don't really know how to 'listen to my gut' but if anyone has any ideas on how to, I'd appreciate it!
othello03
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I mean like ecolier said there's nothing objective about this decision really. Student satisfaction scores are something to consider sure but they don't mean THAT much, other peoples experiences don't dictate what yours will be and they're so subjective (but if you are bothered. I've heard awful reviews about Southampton med from students there). I also don't think dissection is the be and end all either. Ultimately wherever you go there's usually opportunities to do more, and there are any benefits to protection too.

I'll give my personal opinion. I live in Sheffield, I go to sixth form near the hopsital/uni and many of my friends are currently at Sheffield. People that come here for uni tend to really enjoy it, I personally don't. The city is severely lacking compared to it's cited peers. It seriously doesn't hold a candle to Leeds, Newcastle, Liverpool, Manchester or Bristol for that matter. Hills everywhere, shocking public transport. The hospital and medical school is a 10 minute ish walk to the rest of campus, and you'll likely live in Endcliffe or ranmoor which are like 10/15 mins from the hospital/med school. The city centre is dreadful and quite run down, I avoid it wherever possible. You'll often hear "Peak District is only a stones throw away" when advertised, it is more than that. Without a car it's actually a massive hassle, most people from Sheffield seem to have only been a handful of times in their life. Nightlife is not fantastic either. That said the union is a pretty nice space, and there's plenty of societies. Again uni students always preach about how much they love it, so there must be something about the uni experience that is better than the local experience.

Southampton, ( I also have an offer, and my best friend studies biology there) great uni, less than great city. It's perfectly, like, fine. But it is devoid of soul, is the best way I can put it. It's also small, and not nearly interesting/fun/vibrant enough, to justify it's cost of living. I rejected my offer for that reason.

Bristol, absolutely incredible city. Whoever compared it to London lied to you, nothing like London at all. Better in fact. If my UCAT was good enough I would've applied in a heartbeat, seriously one of my favourite cities in the UK, and certainly the most vibrant and fun of these 3. Has significantly more going on, and a much better atmosphere. As much access to nature as the U.K, and then some more. Proximity to the south and your family ( I think). Also certainly the best uni as far as reputation goes (although as you've said not a massive factor for medicine). Howeverrrrrrr, cost of living can't be ignored. It is pricey there, mainly nights out and rent. Your food bill will be more or less the same anywhere, and I gather Bristol transport isn't too bad either.

TLDR: if you can afford it, 10000000% go Bristol, if not go Sheffield. In my personal opinion. Others might disagree, but when choosing my firm I decided that city was the most important thing. The universities themselves only vary so much, you'll get a med degree everywhere. But your lived experience of 5/6 years will differ massively from city to city.
fh2712
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Southampton because of the BMedSci, that's the only thing that's "tangible" and I would go for them.
Hi i wanted to know if i do go southampton to study medicine and get the BMedSci and also do an intercalation, what would that do for me in the long run as a FY1? would i have advantage of choosing certain cities/hospitals i would want to work in or is that not even a thing? My plan was to potentially do an intercalation year but try and do the masters ones if i can get them since they are very competitive. Is the masters ones also one year? I kinda have the impression its just a list of things infront of your name but idk?
Purple43Monkey
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
othello03
Thank you so much for such a detailed reply! I'll definitely consider these factors, and it's so useful to hear from someone living in the area. I really appreciate it.
Logically I'm sure I'll make the most of and enjoy wherever I go, it's just so difficult to actually commit to one!
Last edited by Purple43Monkey; 4 weeks ago
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Southampton - the best mix of what you are looking for.

(Original post by Purple43Monkey)
othello03
Thank you so much for such a detailed reply! I'll definitely consider these factors, and it's really useful to hear from someone living in the area. I really appreciate it!
Angiogram1
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Purple43Monkey)
othello03
Thank you so much for such a detailed reply! I'll definitely consider these factors, and it's so useful to hear from someone living in the area. I really appreciate it.
Logically I'm sure I'll make the most of and enjoy wherever I go, it's just so difficult to actually commit to one!
(Original post by othello03)
I mean like ecolier said there's nothing objective about this decision really. Student satisfaction scores are something to consider sure but they don't mean THAT much, other peoples experiences don't dictate what yours will be and they're so subjective (but if you are bothered. I've heard awful reviews about Southampton med from students there). I also don't think dissection is the be and end all either. Ultimately wherever you go there's usually opportunities to do more, and there are any benefits to protection too.

I'll give my personal opinion. I live in Sheffield, I go to sixth form near the hopsital/uni and many of my friends are currently at Sheffield. People that come here for uni tend to really enjoy it, I personally don't. The city is severely lacking compared to it's cited peers. It seriously doesn't hold a candle to Leeds, Newcastle, Liverpool, Manchester or Bristol for that matter. Hills everywhere, shocking public transport. The hospital and medical school is a 10 minute ish walk to the rest of campus, and you'll likely live in Endcliffe or ranmoor which are like 10/15 mins from the hospital/med school. The city centre is dreadful and quite run down, I avoid it wherever possible. You'll often hear "Peak District is only a stones throw away" when advertised, it is more than that. Without a car it's actually a massive hassle, most people from Sheffield seem to have only been a handful of times in their life. Nightlife is not fantastic either. That said the union is a pretty nice space, and there's plenty of societies. Again uni students always preach about how much they love it, so there must be something about the uni experience that is better than the local experience.

Southampton, ( I also have an offer, and my best friend studies biology there) great uni, less than great city. It's perfectly, like, fine. But it is devoid of soul, is the best way I can put it. It's also small, and not nearly interesting/fun/vibrant enough, to justify it's cost of living. I rejected my offer for that reason.

Bristol, absolutely incredible city. Whoever compared it to London lied to you, nothing like London at all. Better in fact. If my UCAT was good enough I would've applied in a heartbeat, seriously one of my favourite cities in the UK, and certainly the most vibrant and fun of these 3. Has significantly more going on, and a much better atmosphere. As much access to nature as the U.K, and then some more. Proximity to the south and your family ( I think). Also certainly the best uni as far as reputation goes (although as you've said not a massive factor for medicine). Howeverrrrrrr, cost of living can't be ignored. It is pricey there, mainly nights out and rent. Your food bill will be more or less the same anywhere, and I gather Bristol transport isn't too bad either.

TLDR: if you can afford it, 10000000% go Bristol, if not go Sheffield. In my personal opinion. Others might disagree, but when choosing my firm I decided that city was the most important thing. The universities themselves only vary so much, you'll get a med degree everywhere. But your lived experience of 5/6 years will differ massively from city to city.
Absolutely agree with this
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (26)
27.96%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
33.33%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (9)
9.68%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.23%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.38%
I’m starting to consider my university options (13)
13.98%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (4)
4.3%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.15%

Watched Threads