Psychology 2022 eduqas A Level (component 1)

Watch this thread
Help_me_pleaseex
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
The first exam is on the 24th May !!

How is everyone feeling?
Mythical Pingu
Last edited by Help_me_pleaseex; 4 weeks ago
AlistairFair
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
I can't wait for it to be over but that's how I feel about all my exams tbf 😩 I'm just hoping when we all discuss our answers and questions that I'm relieved and not distressed lmao

My college only just told us about 'applying examples from psychology' to the assumptions like a few weeks ago, so not too confident in my answers on those questions!

Hope everyone else is feeling alright (or as alright as is possible...) Gl everyone!
Help_me_pleaseex
Rep:
(Original post by AlistairFair)
I can't wait for it to be over but that's how I feel about all my exams tbf 😩 I'm just hoping when we all discuss our answers and questions that I'm relieved and not distressed lmao

My college only just told us about 'applying examples from psychology' to the assumptions like a few weeks ago, so not too confident in my answers on those questions!

Hope everyone else is feeling alright (or as alright as is possible...) Gl everyone!
I am not very confident on applying the assumptions to the behaviours!
How would you apply the biological assumptions to a behaviour.
1) evolutionary influences --->
2) Localisation of brain function -->
3) Neurotransmitters -->
chickennuggets04
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
What’s everyone predicting for the questiobs
AlistairFair
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Help_me_pleaseex)
I am not very confident on applying the assumptions to the behaviours!
How would you apply the biological assumptions to a behaviour.
1) evolutionary influences --->
2) Localisation of brain function -->
3) Neurotransmitters -->
For component 3 my college does criminal behaviour, stress and autism, so that's reflected in a lot of my applications (pretty much just crim). Anyway, here's what I have: (I'll just share it all in case anyone can tell me if I've done this glaringly wrong lmao)

Biological
Evolutionary influences: The MAOA gene is a naturally occurring gene, nicknamed the "warrior gene". Those with abnormally low levels of MAOA are predisposed to violent behaviour (Brunner et al (1993)).
Localisation of brain function: Raine et al (1997) found that criminals had increased brain activity in their pre-frontal cortex, cerebellum, corpus callosum, left-angular gyrus, and the thalamus, amygdala, and hippocampus in the left hemisphere.
Neurotransmitters: Seo et al (2015) found that low levels of the neurotransmitter serotonin may predispose individuals to impulsive aggression and criminal behaviour, partly because this neurotransmitter normally inhibits the prefrontal cortex.

Psychodynamic
Influence of childhood experiences: Bowlby (1944) looked into the reasons for thieving children. He found that, out of 44 children, 15 children experienced frequent separations from their mothers. 12 of these children were deemed 'affectionless': they had a lack of normal affection, shame, and responsibility. This shows the effect of childhood experiences.
Can also mention Watson and Rayner (1920): Little Albert sucking his thumb when scared (oral stage).
Unconscious mind: Benoit, R. G. (2021) looked into the defence mechanism of repression and found that not only was it an occuring coping mechanism, but those who did it had a significant reduction in memory performance for the content they wanted to forget; effectively proving repression as something that happens.
Tripartite personality: Blackburn (1993) argues that criminals are suffering from an underdeveloped superego. If the phallic stage is not completed properly, they will have an underdeveloped superego and have to allow the id to take free reign with their desires.

Behaviourist
Humans are born like a blank slate: Watson and Rayner (1920) Little Albert was conditioned into his fear of rats and some furry objects; he was not born with that fear.
Behaviour learned through conditioning: Seligman (1965) classically conditioned 'learned helplessness. He electrocuted dogs and then placed them in an area with a half-wall they could jump over. On one side, the floor was shocked, but the other side of the wall was left alone. The dog - that had been electrocuted in the past - would just lie down on the shocked floor. The dog had been conditioned into believing its condition was inescapable. (It's classical because at first, he would ring a bell every time the shock came and then the dog came to be scared of just the bell).
Humans and animals learn in similar ways: Pepperberg conducted a 30~ year-long experiment with a parrot named Alex. Alex is an example of how animals can be similar to animals or learn like them: he learnt 100+ words, colours, shapes, and at 2 years old was answering questions designed for human 6-year-olds.
Last edited by AlistairFair; 4 weeks ago
Help_me_pleaseex
Rep:
For component 3 my college does criminal behaviour, stress and autism, so that's reflected in a lot of my applications (pretty much just crim). Anyway, here's what I have: (I'll just share it all in case anyone can tell me if I've done this glaringly wrong lmao)

Biological
Evolutionary influences: The MAOA gene is a naturally occurring gene, nicknamed the "warrior gene". Those with abnormally low levels of MAOA are predisposed to violent behaviour (Brunner et al (1993)).
Localisation of brain function: Raine et al (1997) found that criminals had increased brain activity in their pre-frontal cortex, cerebellum, corpus callosum, left-angular gyrus, and the thalamus, amygdala, and hippocampus in the left hemisphere.
Neurotransmitters: Seo et al (2015) found that low levels of the neurotransmitter serotonin may predispose individuals to impulsive aggression and criminal behaviour, partly because this neurotransmitter normally inhibits the prefrontal cortex.

Psychodynamic
Influence of childhood experiences: Bowlby (1944) looked into the reasons for thieving children. He found that, out of 44 children, 15 children experienced frequent separations from their mothers. 12 of these children were deemed 'affectionless': they had a lack of normal affection, shame, and responsibility. This shows the effect of childhood experiences.
Can also mention Watson and Rayner (1920): Little Albert sucking his thumb when scared (oral stage).
Unconscious mind: Benoit, R. G. (2021) looked into the defence mechanism of repression and found that not only was it an occuring coping mechanism, but those who did it had a significant reduction in memory performance for the content they wanted to forget; effectively proving repression as something that happens.
Tripartite personality: Blackburn (1993) argues that criminals are suffering from an underdeveloped superego. If the phallic stage is not completed properly, they will have an underdeveloped superego and have to allow the id to take free reign with their desires.

Behaviourist
Humans are born like a blank slate: Watson and Rayner (1920) Little Albert was conditioned into his fear of rats and some furry objects; he was not born with that fear.
Behaviour learned through conditioning: Seligman (1965) classically conditioned 'learned helplessness. He electrocuted dogs and then placed them in an area with a half-wall they could jump over. On one side, the floor was shocked, but the other side of the wall was left alone. The dog - that had been electrocuted in the past - would just lie down on the shocked floor. The dog had been conditioned into believing its condition was inescapable. (It's classical because at first, he would ring a bell every time the shock came and then the dog came to be scared of just the bell).
Humans and animals learn in similar ways: Pepperberg conducted a 30~ year-long experiment with a parrot named Alex. Alex is an example of how animals can be similar to animals or learn like them: he learnt 100+ words, colours, shapes, and at 2 years old was answering questions designed for human 6-year-olds.
WOW THAT LOOKS REALLY GOOD! And you have supporting evidence!
Help_me_pleaseex
Rep:
(Original post by chickennuggets04)
What’s everyone predicting for the questiobs
I've heard that there is a high chance Bowlby and Raine will come up (from my teachers)
Help_me_pleaseex
Rep:
omg guys how did you find the paperrr
AlistairFair
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I found it pretty good! I had an issue with the cognitive ethics question though I left it to come back to at the end, but then I did the debate at the end so I only had like 2 minutes to answer the cognitive Q.
Aside from that... it was good!

How was it for you Help_me_pleaseex ?
Help_me_pleaseex
Rep:
I found it pretty good! I had an issue with the cognitive ethics question though I left it to come back to at the end, but then I did the debate at the end so I only had like 2 minutes to answer the cognitive Q.
Aside from that... it was good!

How was it for you Help_me_pleaseex ?
i tested positive for covid and couln't take the paper (I'm not acc going to take the paper at all ...) I am glad it was good for you! What cognitive ethics question was it?
_Diamonds_
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I ran out of time quite badly some of my answers I think were good, others I really wanted to add to. Did anyone else find timing a challenge?
AlistairFair
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
i tested positive for covid and couln't take the paper (I'm not acc going to take the paper at all ...) I am glad it was good for you! What cognitive ethics question was it?
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that! I hope you have a speedy recovery The cognitive question (iirc) was to give 2 ethical evaluation points on the cognitive therapy (CBT). Ah, and there were 0 positive questions which I was really happy about haha

(Original post by _Diamonds_)
I ran out of time quite badly some of my answers I think were good, others I really wanted to add to. Did anyone else find timing a challenge?
I struggled with time too! I don't usually but I did this time for some reason. My friends that did the debate first said they got on fine with time though
Help_me_pleaseex
Rep:
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that! I hope you have a speedy recovery The cognitive question (iirc) was to give 2 ethical evaluation points on the cognitive therapy (CBT). Ah, and there were 0 positive questions which I was really happy about haha

I struggled with time too! I don't usually but I did this time for some reason. My friends that did the debate first said they got on fine with time though
Thank you
_Diamonds_
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago

I did the debate first but I definitely started to overdo it on some of the 10 markers which threw it off . Do you know whether or not conclusions were needed on the compare and contrast and ethics of CBT ones? I usually would've done it but I could've done with an extra 20 minutes or so
Last edited by _Diamonds_; 4 weeks ago
Husseino
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by _Diamonds_)
I did the debate first but I definitely started to overdo it on some of the 10 markers which threw it off . Do you know whether or not conclusions were needed on the compare and contrast and ethics of CBT ones? I usually would've done it but I could've done with an extra 20 minutes or so
my teacher says every question over 10+ marks needs a conclusion
Help_me_pleaseex
Rep:
(Original post by Husseino)
my teacher says every question over 10+ marks needs a conclusion
Hi usually you need a conclusion for any A03 question so ones that have 'evaluate' or 'compare and contrast'.
If you had a describe Raine's procedures question for 12 marks, for example, you wouldn't need a conclusion because it is A01 (regardless of the number of marks!)
Husseino
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi usually you need a conclusion for any A03 question so ones that have 'evaluate' or 'compare and contrast'.
If you have a question that had describe Raine's procedures question for 12 marks, for example, you wouldn't need a conclusion because it is A01 (regardless of the number of marks!)
ohhh okay, thank you I didn’t know
kayley2003
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
for the question about how a psychologist could understand human behaviour using the behaviourist assumptions does anyone know if we just needed to describe the assumptions or apply them to a behaviour like relationship formation as well?
LOLLLLLL!
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by kayley2003)
for the question about how a psychologist could understand human behaviour using the behaviourist assumptions does anyone know if we just needed to describe the assumptions or apply them to a behaviour like relationship formation as well?
yeah you had to apply it to a behaviour
LOLLLLLL!
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
i did not include a single conclusion on any of the 8/10 markers (crying face emoji), i think they were only needed for 3 questions (watson and rayner, raine and cbt). i thought you did not need one for the compare and contrast question?

If you had a describe Raine's procedures question for 12 marks, for example, you wouldn't need a conclusion because it is A01 (regardless of the number of marks!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (0)
0%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (0)
0%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (0)
0%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (0)
0%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (0)
0%

Watched Threads