Birmingham vs Bristol, Manchester, UCL, or KCL for Computer Science

Watch this thread
sk0917
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 52 years ago
Hi! I’m an international student who finished gcses with an 1 a* and 5 as, and did Maths, Further Maths, and Physics for my A-Levels obtaining an a*a*b for each of them. Because of the b I got in physics, I went into clearing and got into the uni of birmingham for mechanical engineering.
Right now, I’m on a leave of absence until 2023 due to mandatory military service in my country. While I was here, I figured that I actually want to do computer science instead of mechanical engineering, so contacted the uni for a transfer to computer science. I got accepted, but I have to start from the first year. This got me thinking, with an a*a*b, if I should just re-apply for another uni such as the universities above.
Here’s the question: is it worth re-applying via ucas to go to those unis in the title(as I’m currently in the military, it’s impossible for me to retake my physics a levels, and it’s a huge challenge for me to apply for ucas while being in the military), or is re-applying not worth the money and time, and is birmingham good enough? Also my a-levels are done in 2020, so it’s 3 years old, so I’m also curious if the above unis would consider my a-level grades. Thank you.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
All of those Unis will probably be closed for applications this year for something as competitive as CS.
You can try contacting them but don't get your hopes up.

If any of them would accept you application then you will need to a) cancel your existing Firm place, b) put in a totally new UCAS application (new PS, new reference) and submit it quickly.

Honestly? None of these other Unis are dramatically 'better' for CS than Birmingham however you want to measure that. And it would be a great deal easier just to accept you new offer from Birmingham rather than messing about trying to get in somewhere else. Remember 'asking higher grades' does not mean 'better course' or 'you will enjoy it more at that Uni'.

Birmingham is a fabulous Uni and you'll have a great time there.
Campus Tour - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-bsH8hw_U8
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sk0917)
Hi! I’m an international student who finished gcses with an 1 a* and 5 as, and did Maths, Further Maths, and Physics for my A-Levels obtaining an a*a*b for each of them. Because of the b I got in physics, I went into clearing and got into the uni of birmingham for mechanical engineering.
Right now, I’m on a leave of absence until 2023 due to mandatory military service in my country. While I was here, I figured that I actually want to do computer science instead of mechanical engineering, so contacted the uni for a transfer to computer science. I got accepted, but I have to start from the first year. This got me thinking, with an a*a*b, if I should just re-apply for another uni such as the universities above.
Here’s the question: is it worth re-applying via ucas to go to those unis in the title(as I’m currently in the military, it’s impossible for me to retake my physics a levels, and it’s a huge challenge for me to apply for ucas while being in the military), or is re-applying not worth the money and time, and is birmingham good enough? Also my a-levels are done in 2020, so it’s 3 years old, so I’m also curious if the above unis would consider my a-level grades. Thank you.
To bee perfectly honest the way things have been this year you are extremely unlikely to get offers. Look at the fiasco regarding Kings in the last few days as an example. I cannot see any of those 4 making offers now. Stick with Birmingham.
PhantomMercy
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
UCL/KCL: A*A*A
Manchester: A*A*A*
Bristol: A*AA

Unless your uni transcripts/grades are taken into account or you are eligible for contextual offers, you will be automatically rejected from all of those unis (except maybe Bristol) for not meeting the requirements. Comp Sci is VERY COMPETITIVE and people with full A*s regularly get rejected from those places. Keep your current place as you will not be guaranteed a place at any of the above unis.
sk0917
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thank you for the reply! Just one more question: do you think that birmingham is well known for computer science? And does birmingham have a degree of prestige as a university? I’m just kinda worried cause I’m non-british and probably will go and get a job in other countries. Thanks!
PhantomMercy
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for the reply! Just one more question: do you think that birmingham is well known for computer science? And does birmingham have a degree of prestige as a university? I’m just kinda worried cause I’m non-british and probably will go and get a job in other countries. Thanks!
Your degree classification and any work experience you get during university is what matters at the end of the day. Birmingham is in the top 100 unis in the world in general but rankings mean very little.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (39)
32.23%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (55)
45.45%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (26)
21.49%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.83%

Watched Threads