Should I change career for the sake of joining a prestigious company?

Watch this thread
BDQSISZJ
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Sorry, if this post may seem long. I am a 28-year-old male from London who graduated with a Master's in Accounting and Management in 2019 and ever since I have been working mainly in finance/accounting.

Back in March, I had secured a position in Belfast for an accounting-related graduate position with PwC, but that did not work out due to not being able to find suitable accommodation in time and that meant I had to withdraw and return to London. Two weeks ago, PwC contacted me again regarding the Supply Chain Graduate Associate position in Cardiff. My issue is that I only accepted the Cardiff position for the sake of joining a prestigious company like PwC and not because of the job role. It's a whole new career path. The interviewer was reluctant to give me the position because I did struggle to explain why I wanted to go into the supply chain and yet he still offered it to me. My feeling is that the Belfast team pressured them into hiring me as they felt bad for me with what happened in Belfast. Initially, I was happy, but after about a week or two I am getting more nervous and stressed.

That is not the only issue because my other issue is the fact that I have never moved outside of my family home. I feel moving to Cardiff could be a step too far anyway and maybe I should look to move out elsewhere in London before jumping two steps. I am a very family-orientated person and I have preferred to save up and the high rent is quite depressing. Also, I do not want to be tied down by a contract for accommodation especially if it doesn't work out so there's that risk.

If anyone could offer me some words of advice I would be very grateful. This has started to really bother me to the point where I am sleeping late due to these intrusive thoughts. My parents are desperate for me to take the position in Cardiff because of the name PwC. I feel really pressured and stressed out.

What do you think?

Many thanks.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
What is a 'Supply Chain Associate'? Which division is it in and does the position include training for professional exams?
BDQSISZJ
Rep:
(Original post by ajj2000)
What is a 'Supply Chain Associate'? Which division is it in and does the position include training for professional exams?
To be more specific it is a supply chain consultant position with a salary of £23,000. The division is consultancy and I don’t think they pay for professional exams.
Smack
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Do you want to switch from accounting to supply chain?
ajj2000
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BDQSISZJ)
To be more specific it is a supply chain consultant position with a salary of £23,000. The division is consultancy and I don’t think they pay for professional exams.
Well - what job are you doing at the moment and are you sitting further qualifications?
BDQSISZJ
Rep:
(Original post by Smack)
Do you want to switch from accounting to supply chain?
I just don’t think it suits my personality, especially since I have a social anxiety issue which I forgot to mention in my post. I know the position will involve lots of communication in person and over the phone. Essentially, it is half a sales job and I have never been interested in sales because I know I wouldn’t enjoy it.
BDQSISZJ
Rep:
(Original post by ajj2000)
Well - what job are you doing at the moment and are you sitting further qualifications?
I am currently unemployed aside the offer. I just don’t think I have thought this through, it is more like an impulsive decision which I am coming to slowly regret.
BDQSISZJ
Rep:
And I am currently not sitting any further qualifications
(Original post by BDQSISZJ)
I am currently unemployed aside the offer. I just don’t think I have thought this through, it is more like an impulsive decision which I am coming to slowly regret.
Manc25
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hello, you will need to leave home at some point in life. I am in the same position as you though, preferring to stay at home to save money. If the moneys good where you are, I’d stay and look for a job you actually want in a big 4 firm, (in London). If you’ve managed to get an offer in a role you don’t know much about you should easily get one doing something you know. Or see if you could be transferred somewhere closer?On the other hand, if you think you will regret it, **** it and do it. You’ll be annoyed at yourself in the future. If it doesn’t work out you’re not losing out on that much.If you don’t think you’ll regret it- don’t do it imo. Keep applying for jobs!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.58%
As I expected (24)
30.38%
Harder (29)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.33%

Watched Threads