Career Change Advice

Watch this thread
Steampunk_Kitty
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Bit of a long story, so bare with me.

I did an MSci degree in biochem (4 yrs, graduating in 2020 with a 2:1) and ultimately realised I actually want my career to have a history focus. It's something that was building from before I even started uni; I really enjoyed history and it was my best subject even at A2 level. But I naïvely clung on to wanting to work in a lab and thought having history as a hobby would be better. I had believed things would improve and settle over time, but they haven't.

Fast forward to now. I'm working as a lab ELISA analyst to bulk up my CV and skills, but I'm not planning to stay long term. I'm determined to find a way to direct my skills into historical or archaeological research asap. I've considered the options below, but I feel like I've exhausted my options and there isn't a feasible choice.

Option 1: Do another Masters in bioarchaeology or archaeological sciences.
Pros-
I'm eligible for some degrees I really like
Can be tailored towards what I want to research/interests
Foot back into academia but in a field I want to be in

Big Con-
Already have a Masters level degree, so not eligible for the gov loan or other funding routes and I can't afford to self fund (even on a part time basis).

Option 2: Get an archaeology adjacent job Pros-
Get some experience e.g. as lab tech in an arch lab or in DNA analysis
Build up some funds for a Masters in the future

Big con-
Not eligible for most jobs obviously, going back to needing a related degree or experience ahaha

If anyone has any advice on jobs, programmes, or degrees I could be eligible for that could help me get where I want to be, I'd be so grateful. I know it's a long shot, but I just want to make sure I haven't missed or overlooked anything.

TIA!
Jam
srija08
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Steampunk_Kitty)
Bit of a long story, so bare with me.

I did an MSci degree in biochem (4 yrs, graduating in 2020 with a 2:1) and ultimately realised I actually want my career to have a history focus. It's something that was building from before I even started uni; I really enjoyed history and it was my best subject even at A2 level. But I naïvely clung on to wanting to work in a lab and thought having history as a hobby would be better. I had believed things would improve and settle over time, but they haven't.

Fast forward to now. I'm working as a lab ELISA analyst to bulk up my CV and skills, but I'm not planning to stay long term. I'm determined to find a way to direct my skills into historical or archaeological research asap. I've considered the options below, but I feel like I've exhausted my options and there isn't a feasible choice.

Option 1: Do another Masters in bioarchaeology or archaeological sciences.
Pros-
I'm eligible for some degrees I really like
Can be tailored towards what I want to research/interests
Foot back into academia but in a field I want to be in

Big Con-
Already have a Masters level degree, so not eligible for the gov loan or other funding routes and I can't afford to self fund (even on a part time basis).

Option 2: Get an archaeology adjacent job Pros-
Get some experience e.g. as lab tech in an arch lab or in DNA analysis
Build up some funds for a Masters in the future

Big con-
Not eligible for most jobs obviously, going back to needing a related degree or experience ahaha

If anyone has any advice on jobs, programmes, or degrees I could be eligible for that could help me get where I want to be, I'd be so grateful. I know it's a long shot, but I just want to make sure I haven't missed or overlooked anything.

TIA!
Jam
Do u strongly not like the job u r doing now?
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Are there many jobs in archaeological sciences? It sounds very niche - and very reliant on construction industry regulations to me.

Are there no related lab jobs you could get without further qualifications?
Steampunk_Kitty
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by srija08)
Do u strongly not like the job u r doing now?
Yeah, it's shot my mental health to bits tbh. I think I can last a year (coming up to 6 months now), but no longer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (51)
26.15%
As I expected (64)
32.82%
Harder (72)
36.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.1%

Watched Threads