DSA for chronic pain/arthritis?

Watch this thread
Lather
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys. I've recently been diagnosed psoriatic arthritis. It's having quite a profound impact on the left side of my body, and I struggle with the pain quite a lot. I struggle with most things involving movement.

I was hoping to see if anyone here received DSA due to a chronic pain condition, and if so, what sort of help have you received?

I study social work and come Febuary of next year I'll be on my first placement.
Phoenixfeather99
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Hey.

I get DSA for a number of conditions, one of which is a joint condition that causes pain. My DSA assessment meant that I got a number of things such as an ergonomic chair, ergonomic laptop stand and mouse, speech to text software and reading out loud software. I also got other stuff but that’s for other conditions. It’s definitely worth applying and the process is pretty simple and stress free once your initial application has been accepted.
Lather
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Phoenixfeather99)
Hey.

I get DSA for a number of conditions, one of which is a joint condition that causes pain. My DSA assessment meant that I got a number of things such as an ergonomic chair, ergonomic laptop stand and mouse, speech to text software and reading out loud software. I also got other stuff but that’s for other conditions. It’s definitely worth applying and the process is pretty simple and stress free once your initial application has been accepted.
Thanks so much for replying! An ergonomic chair and stand would actually be a godsend, i'll make sure to mention them if my application gets accepted. Do you have any help in terms of transport? One of my worries is that some mornings I really can't walk for any period of time so getting to uni would be a struggle.
Phoenixfeather99
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lather)
Thanks so much for replying! An ergonomic chair and stand would actually be a godsend, i'll make sure to mention them if my application gets accepted. Do you have any help in terms of transport? One of my worries is that some mornings I really can't walk for any period of time so getting to uni would be a struggle.
Hey.

I didn’t get any support with transport but that’s because I lived on campus for the entirety of my course. It’s something you can discuss with your assessor though. I know of people that have got funding for transport but I’m not sure for what condition.
kirstie05
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

I have Psa as well, have been offered, a lightweight laptop, 5 different pieces of software to help with notetaking, as well as training to learn how to use it. Also referred for an ergonomic assessment when I move into my uni accommodation for a sitting/standing desk or desk station, depending on my room, ergonomic chair, ergonomic mouse, document stand. Also printer and ink/paper allowance. My assessment has also been sent directly to my uni, with recommendations for additional exam time, using laptop in exams, ensuite accommodation.

Depending on which uni you go to you might be able to get some reimbursement for transport, it also depends on if you get enhance mobility on Pips.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions I am happy to try and help,

Kirstie
Last edited by kirstie05; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (38)
26.21%
As I expected (47)
32.41%
Harder (53)
36.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.83%

Watched Threads