electrolysis

Watch this thread
jennaa21
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
hey im doing gcse chemistry aqa and im honestly so confused about the whole idea of electrolysis, does anyone have any ideas or videos i can watch to grasp the idea of electrolysis because my exam is soon and i still dont understand it, i understand the basics so the 2 metals in the electrolyte but i dont undertsand everything else like the anode and cathode bit and how do i know what will be produced - i am so confused if anyone has any suggestions that will be appreciated.
set1xoxo
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
heyy

use freescience lessons or cognito

cations(positive ions) go to anode and lose their electrons,oxygen is produced unless there is a halogen(group 7 element) present

anions(negative ions) go to cathode and gain electrons, hydrogen produced unless there is a less reactive element present(copper,silver or gold)

xx
jennaa21
Rep:
(Original post by set1xoxo)
heyy

use freescience lessons or cognito

cations(positive ions) go to anode and lose their electrons,oxygen is produced unless there is a halogen(group 7 element) present

anions(negative ions) go to cathode and gain electrons, hydrogen produced unless there is a less reactive element present(copper,silver or gold)

xx
thank u sm!! they r so useful i understand now
set1xoxo
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by jennaa21)
thank u sm!! they r so useful i understand now
omg i am so so sorry i meant that cations go to cathode not anode,
everything else is right just mixed up the cations and anions
scimus63
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
try here

https://science-revision.co.uk/electrolysis.html
jennaa21
Rep:
thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (19)
32.2%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.39%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.08%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.78%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
11.86%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.69%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.69%

Watched Threads