The Student Room Group

electrolysis

hey im doing gcse chemistry aqa and im honestly so confused about the whole idea of electrolysis, does anyone have any ideas or videos i can watch to grasp the idea of electrolysis because my exam is soon and i still dont understand it, i understand the basics so the 2 metals in the electrolyte but i dont undertsand everything else like the anode and cathode bit and how do i know what will be produced - i am so confused if anyone has any suggestions that will be appreciated.
heyy

use freescience lessons or cognito

cations(positive ions) go to anode and lose their electrons,oxygen is produced unless there is a halogen(group 7 element) present

anions(negative ions) go to cathode and gain electrons, hydrogen produced unless there is a less reactive element present(copper,silver or gold)

xx
Original post by set1xoxo
heyy

use freescience lessons or cognito

cations(positive ions) go to anode and lose their electrons,oxygen is produced unless there is a halogen(group 7 element) present

anions(negative ions) go to cathode and gain electrons, hydrogen produced unless there is a less reactive element present(copper,silver or gold)

xx

thank u sm!! they r so useful i understand now :smile:
Original post by jennaa21
thank u sm!! they r so useful i understand now :smile:

omg i am so so sorry i meant that cations go to cathode not anode,
everything else is right just mixed up the cations and anions

Quick Reply