Birmingham vs Bristol, Manchester, UCL, or KCL for Computer Science

Watch this thread
sk0917
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi! I’m an international student who finished gcses with an 1 a* and 5 as, and did Maths, Further Maths, and Physics for my A-Levels obtaining an a*a*b for each of them. Because of the b I got in physics, I went into clearing and got into the uni of birmingham for mechanical engineering.
Right now, I’m on a leave of absence until 2023 due to mandatory military service in my country. While I was here, I figured that I actually want to do computer science instead of mechanical engineering, so contacted the uni for a transfer to computer science. I got accepted, but I have to start from the first year. This got me thinking, with an a*a*b, if I should just re-apply for another uni such as the universities above.
Here’s the question: is it worth re-applying via ucas to go to those unis in the title(as I’m currently in the military, it’s impossible for me to retake my physics a levels, and it’s a huge challenge for me to apply for ucas while being in the military), or is re-applying not worth the money and time, and is birmingham good enough? Also my a-levels are done in 2020, so it’s 3 years old, so I’m also curious if the above unis would consider my a-level grades. Thank you.
_andre_
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
all 4 you've mentioned are extremely competitive for computer science. I know people who've been rejected with 5a*s to ucl and one of my mates applying for comp sci told me that Manchester ask for 3a*s or something crazy like that. this year kcl has been super super competitive too. if its going to be a pain reapplying id just recommend sticking with Birmingham.
sk0917
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thank you for the reply! Just one more question: do you think that birmingham is well known for computer science? And does birmingham have a degree of prestige as a university? I’m just kinda worried cause I’m non-british and probably will go and get a job in other countries. Thanks!
_andre_
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
yeah brums a great uni ive only ever heard good things about it and its definitely up there in terms of prestige and reputation
(Original post by sk0917)
Thank you for the reply! Just one more question: do you think that birmingham is well known for computer science? And does birmingham have a degree of prestige as a university? I’m just kinda worried cause I’m non-british and probably will go and get a job in other countries. Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads