Is a foundation year worth it ??

Watch this thread
btt44
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Im doing a btec applied science and dont have A level maths (did as maths but did poorly because i didnt have much time so have to cram everything in)

The requirements for the foundation year at UOB is BBB at a level if you have maths you can not be considered and you need 6 in gcse maths i got. 5 but i am resitting this yr . A entry test is also needed to get in with btec (DDD)

Should i take the foundation yr over going straight to the cs degree in a lower ranked uni ?

I will be 19 when starting the foundation yr and 20 when the actual degree starts .

Also will i be able to do yr in industry with the degree after the foundation yr?

What do you actually do in a foundation yr ?
Last edited by btt44; 1 month ago
JPowWow
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I would recommend doing it mainly so you are have the required background. Going into a degree where everyone assumed to be strong at maths without it would be frustrating
_Robyn_
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I'd do the foundation year. There's no harm in waiting a bit longer. Plus you'll be caught up with other people when you actually start the course.
_Robyn_
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Also I see you are doing applied science. I'm thinking about taking it for a level but not sure. Do you mind telling me a bit about it?
btt44
Rep:
(Original post by JPowWow)
I would recommend doing it mainly so you are have the required background. Going into a degree where everyone assumed to be strong at maths without it would be frustrating
The only thing putting me off is that ill be 20 when the degree starts and 24 when finished :eek:
_Robyn_
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by btt44)
The only thing putting me off is that ill be 20 when the degree starts and 24 when finished :eek:
Try not to worry about the age thing. You have your whole life to get a degree. You don't need to do it straight away. You can take as long as you need
btt44
Rep:
(Original post by _Robyn_)
Also I see you are doing applied science. I'm thinking about taking it for a level but not sure. Do you mind telling me a bit about it?
You will do about 18 units split into yr 1 and yr 2 . It is quite enjoyable ngl except the chem units those are pretty hard. Youll get a resub after your 1st submission this is where the teacher tells u what to do to get a distinction or merit . There will be around 3 assignments for each unit get a pass in one of the assigments you will be capped at the pass for the whole unit you have around a month or two to do a assignment some are short like physics and some are long like chem . Id reccomend it over A levels as it is easier much more enjoyable imo and you can have fun whilst getting a good grade .
_Robyn_
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by btt44)
You will do about 18 units split into yr 1 and yr 2 . It is quite enjoyable ngl except the chem units those are pretty hard. Youll get a resub after your 1st submission this is where the teacher tells u what to do to get a distinction or merit . There will be around 3 assignments for each unit get a pass in one of the assigments you will be capped at the pass for the whole unit you have around a month or two to do a assignment some are short like physics and some are long like chem . Id reccomend it over A levels as it is easier much more enjoyable imo and you can have fun whilst getting a good grade .
Thank you this is really useful information.
btt44
Rep:
(Original post by _Robyn_)
Thank you this is really useful information.
But this is dependent on what you want to do .make sure you check your requirements . Im doing cs in uni and i can get in with this BTEC.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by btt44)
But this is dependent on what you want to do .make sure you check your requirements . Im doing cs in uni and i can get in with this BTEC.
There are 2 main problems with foundation years.

They cost a years additional funding.
You have then used your bonus years funding which means you have no bonus year should you change your mind.

I really think that you need to fully consider if this course is right for you. Basically CS in most universities is a Maths degree. That is why there is a Maths requirement. If you struggled with AS Maths you will find degree level Maths for more difficult. You need to ask yourself are you going to be able to cope with this degree.

As far as universities accepting CS there are some quite good ones that dont require A level Maths. ,Maybe not the top ones but these are likely to have less Mathematical courses. You might be better off researching these and what their Maths requirement is. They range from grade 4 to grade 7 in GCSE.

Computer Science without A Level Maths

Aberystwyth grade C or4 GCSE
Aston grade 4 GCSE
Cardiff grade 6 GCSE
East Anglia grade 5 GCSE. Accepts A level in Computing Science and other subjects
Keele grade 4 GCSE
Kent grade 4 GCSE
Lancaster grade 6 GCSE
Leeds grade 6 GCSE Accepts Computing
Liverpool grade 4 GCSE Accepts Computer science
Newcastle grade 6 GCSE
Nottingham grade 5 Accepts Computing
Queen Mary grade 5 Accepts Computer Science
Reading Maths, Physics or Computer Science grade 6
Royal Holloway grade 6 accepts CS, Maths or Physics
Sussex grade 6
Swansea grade 6 in Maths or Physics
Last edited by swanseajack1; 1 month ago
btt44
Rep:
(Original post by swanseajack1)
There are 2 main problems with foundation years.

They cost a years additional funding.
You have then used your bonus years funding which means you have no bonus year should you change your mind.

I really think that you need to fully consider if this course is right for you. Basically CS in most universities is a Maths degree. That is why there is a Maths requirement. If you struggled with AS Maths you will find degree level Maths for more difficult. You need to ask yourself are you going to be able to cope with this degree.

As far as universities accepting CS there are some quite good ones that dont require A level Maths. ,Maybe not the top ones but these are likely to have less Mathematical courses. You might be better off researching these and what their Maths requirement is. They range from grade 4 to grade 7 in GCSE.

Computer Science without A Level Maths

Aberystwyth grade C or4 GCSE
Aston grade 4 GCSE
Cardiff grade 6 GCSE
East Anglia grade 5 GCSE. Accepts A level in Computing Science and other subjects
Keele grade 4 GCSE
Kent grade 4 GCSE
Lancaster grade 6 GCSE
Leeds grade 6 GCSE Accepts Computing
Liverpool grade 4 GCSE Accepts Computer science
Newcastle grade 6 GCSE
Nottingham grade 5 Accepts Computing
Queen Mary grade 5 Accepts Computer Science
Reading Maths, Physics or Computer Science grade 6
Royal Holloway grade 6 accepts CS, Maths or Physics
Sussex grade 6
Swansea grade 6 in Maths or Physics
For me the problem with as maths was remembering the content i understood the content well i think . Im in birmingham and probably wont move cities for uni so id either have to go for aston uni or UOB ?

Do you think i should go to aston uni over foundation yr in uob because its less maths based and saves me a year ?
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by btt44)
For me the problem with as maths was remembering the content i understood the content well i think . Im in birmingham and probably wont move cities for uni so id either have to go for aston uni or UOB ?

Do you think i should go to aston uni over foundation yr in uob because its less maths based and saves me a year ?
I think you need to seek proper advice on this and whether CS is right for you at all. Somebody who knows your capability not someone on here who is looking at it blind.

What I will say is many schools and colleges will only allow somebody to take A level Maths if they had a grade 7 or above for GCSE. Somebody with a grade 5 was never going to cope with A level Maths as you have found. The problem with places like Birmingham and other universities is that the courses are basically Maths heayy. That is why they require Maths A level grade A which by the sounds of it you are absolutely miles off. They will still require a very good pass in GCSE to even get on the foundation year. When you get there you are going to have to cope with higher level Maths and then a massively harder level of Maths at degree level and to be perfectly honest it wouldnt surprise me if you cant cope.

I would certainly look at Aston. They only want a grade 4 in GCSE Maths. This suggests their course isnt as Maths heavy and they think somebody at your level can cope with the required Maths.unlike many universities.

I really think you need to speak to someone who understands your capabilities as to whether CS is the right subject for you. I am tagging Muttley79 into this who is a 6th form Maths teacher and better able to help you.
Last edited by swanseajack1; 1 month ago
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by btt44)

Yes as swanseajack1 says the Aston course will suit you better. We require a grade 7 for A level Maths so even a grade 6 would not be accepted. Is the Aston course accredited?
btt44
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
Yes as swanseajack1 says the Aston course will suit you better. We require a grade 7 for A level Maths so even a grade 6 would not be accepted. Is the Aston course accredited?
Yes it is
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by btt44)
Yes it is
I'd go for that one then.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (39)
32.23%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (55)
45.45%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (26)
21.49%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.83%

Watched Threads