Ivyfeather
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi there,

I think I have exhausted my options for SFE but I wanted to make one last attempt at sorting out this situation - I have had a lot of conflicting information.

I have an offer to study an engineering course in September. I already have an arts degree and so I had agreed with the university that I could study the course part time so that I could apply for funding and this has been arranged. I spoke to someone at student finance as I couldn't seem to apply for funding as it didn't appear on the part time list - they told me to speak to the university about this, saying that it would be fine but the university had to upload a different code.

The university has now told me that as I am studying a full-time course on a part time basis, I won't be able to get part time funding from SFE and there is nothing they can do.

I am worried about the idea of losing out on funding due to a technicality of whether I am studying a part time course or studying a full time course on part time basis - which to me feels like it is the same thing. I wondered if I made a paper application to explain my situation including confirmation from the university that I am studying it part time, whether this would mean I could qualify?

Thank you in advance for your help.
SFE Karen
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ivyfeather)
Hi there,

I think I have exhausted my options for SFE but I wanted to make one last attempt at sorting out this situation - I have had a lot of conflicting information.

I have an offer to study an engineering course in September. I already have an arts degree and so I had agreed with the university that I could study the course part time so that I could apply for funding and this has been arranged. I spoke to someone at student finance as I couldn't seem to apply for funding as it didn't appear on the part time list - they told me to speak to the university about this, saying that it would be fine but the university had to upload a different code.

The university has now told me that as I am studying a full-time course on a part time basis, I won't be able to get part time funding from SFE and there is nothing they can do.

I am worried about the idea of losing out on funding due to a technicality of whether I am studying a part time course or studying a full time course on part time basis - which to me feels like it is the same thing. I wondered if I made a paper application to explain my situation including confirmation from the university that I am studying it part time, whether this would mean I could qualify?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Hi there, If the university are confirming it would be a full time course on a part time basis and isn't classed as a part time course on the database that we share with them then you wouldn't be eligible to apply for funding. Thanks, Karen
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (19)
32.2%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.39%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.08%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.78%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
11.86%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.69%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise