Is there degree hierarchy at Imperial?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have an offer to do Physics at Imperial and one of my worries is that students there might be cliquey. Do students look down on Course X and look up to Course Y? I'd assume the harder to get into courses like Maths and Computing would be looked up to, whereas Design engineering and newer courses won't be. I just get the sense that there is probably going to be some level of elitism.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
Not, really, I do EE and although some people are c****, that is the same everywhere - there's no real culture of elitism at imperial.
Artemis2022
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Tbh, this exists everywhere. While it is easier said than done, think of college as a means to an end & use it to further yourself.
jamesrwr
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have an offer to do Physics at Imperial and one of my worries is that students there might be cliquey. Do students look down on Course X and look up to Course Y? I'd assume the harder to get into courses like Maths and Computing would be looked up to, whereas Design engineering and newer courses won't be. I just get the sense that there is probably going to be some level of elitism.
I'm a current first-year physics student and the only "hierarchy" I've experienced comes down to jokes with friends. Everyone thinks their course is the best/hardest, but it's all said in good light. I have a friend who does bio-chem and she's always out so we view her course as being "less hard", but in reality she's just super social and accepts she'll turn up to lectures tired. I've not met anyone who seriously views one course as being lesser.
1stThrowawayever
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Sinnoh
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
You need the XKCD "Degree Off" ...... https://xkcd.com/1520/

Followed by "Purity" ..... https://xkcd.com/435/

Honestly, it simply doesn't work the way you seem to suggest, particularly when even a "newish" course like Design Engineering has an A*AA entry requirement minimum and an interview where you need to show off a portfolio to complement the A* in maths and a 6:1 application/entry ratio. Odds are most of your friends will be people you meet in halls from multiple courses and departments, no one gets precious about which course is tougher.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
People don't "look up" to any course, because if they preferred that course then they'd have applied to it. Beyond an occasional obvious bait post on the Imperial Secrets page (or the jokey section of the student newspaper) people don't really look down on other courses either.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (8)
44.44%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (4)
22.22%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
11.11%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
16.67%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5.56%

Watched Threads