Poll: why one should I pick along with Bio and Chem for a-levels
Physics (0)
0%
Maths (5)
100%
srija08
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I want to do something like medicine [doctor/scientist] or other sciences[scientist] for my future career...
I am picking Biology and Chemistry for the first 2 a-levels
for the third one should I pick
- Maths
or
-Physics
And why?
Which one would be better?
Last edited by srija08; 4 weeks ago
jamesrwr
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Maths for sure.

Picking just the sciences without the maths will be difficult unless you plan on doing maths as well. At my school, it was compulsory to do maths if you wanted to do physics, not because the actual maths in the course was difficult, but because it makes you more comfortable with handling mathsy situations.

If we pay attention to the essay portion of one of the biology papers, the combination of biology, chemistry and maths is arguably one of the strongest trios you could take, covering a wider range of skills. Doing chemistry and physics is a good combination if you plan on going into the physical sciences beyond A-Level, but at the moment, the biggest overlap is definitely between chemistry and biology, with maths being a supportive tool in both.
replaythat
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
don't do either - you already do content heavy subjects - go for something a bit more relaxed (no such thing as relaxed alevels but comparing in terms of science) i.e essay subject. I did sociology - easier to get the top grade imo because the content was really easy (pick your a-levels strategically). Don't fall into the trap of having to do maths/physics because of medicine. Unless that is you're applying to Cambridge in which you need another science.
(Original post by srija08)
I want to do something like medicine [doctor/scientist] or other sciences[scientist] for my future career...
- Maths
or
-Physics
And why?
Last edited by replaythat; 4 weeks ago
srija08
Rep:
(Original post by replaythat)
don't do either - you already do content heavy subjects - go for something a bit more relaxed (no such thing as relaxed alevels but comparing in terms of science) i.e essay subject. I did sociology - easier to get the top grade imo because the content was really easy (pick your a-levels strategically). Don't fall into the trap of having to do maths/physics because of medicine. Unless that is you're applying to Cambridge in which you need another science.
Actually I would like to apply for Cambridge/ imperial/ UCL/ oxford...So yh
but thanks
jamesrwr
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
but thanks
If those are your unis of choice, then definitely maths. Almost all of the medics I know at Imperial did bio, chem and maths
bea_murray0
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
- Maths
or
-Physics
And why?
FYI, for medicine, any third A level is fine for any med school in the UK apart from Cambridge, and neither maths or physics is 'better' per se, depends on your interests, although both will be very content-heavy and difficult, so it's not worth doing a subject if you don't enjoy it! Being a 'scientist' is quite a broad career, so I would suggest trying to narrow down what area of science you like best and finding some courses related to it and looking at subject requirements, e.g. biomedical science or biochemistry would only need biology and/or chemistry at most unis, the third could be anything, for human sciences at Oxford you need biology + maths, if you were interested in engineering-related degrees physics would be preferable, etc try punching in some subject combinations to here: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
You can do any subject that you enjoy
but thanks
Rankings don't matter at all for medicine. All medical schools are regulated by the GMC to the same standards and the medical school you attended is not considered by the NHS. The best way to secure an offer for medicine is to apply strategically based on your GCSEs, A-level predicted grades and UCAT/BMAT score.
srija08
Rep:
(Original post by hungrysalamander)You can do any subject that you enjoy

Rankings don't matter at all for medicine. All medical schools are regulated by the GMC to the same standards and the medical school you attended is not considered by the NHS. The best way to secure an offer for medicine is to apply strategically based on your GCSEs, A-level predicted grades and UCAT/BMAT score.

Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (19)
32.2%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.39%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.08%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.78%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
11.86%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.69%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.69%

Watched Threads