how to have a good uni life while staying at home?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i’m starting uni in september but i’m not staying in accommodation since the uni is fairly nearby. i don’t really want to miss out on main things since i’ll be at home rather than at the uni.. how do i go about meeting people and getting involved?
jamesrwr
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
i’m starting uni in september but i’m not staying in accommodation since the uni is fairly nearby. i don’t really want to miss out on main things since i’ll be at home rather than at the uni.. how do i go about meeting people and getting involved?
Attend in-persons. From lectures to course-related meetups, these will help you meet people on your course. If you can, work in the library. You'll naturally bump into people you recognise and can form friendships with.

You can also join societies to meet people outside your course.
Of course, going out at night is a great way to meet new people, but make sure your family are okay with you getting home at 4am, drunk
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Hi there!

You're quite lucky that your uni is nearby so you get to save some extra money by staying at home! But it's completely understandable that you worry you'll miss out on main things. One thing I definitely recommend is joining societies! In the first few weeks your uni will most likely be having events where societies set up their stalls so take a walk around or check your student union's website and see what societies you like and join! There's also usually taster sessions for free so I definitely recommend going to those and getting a feel of the society before you join. They're a great way to meet people outside of uni and there's usually socials for each society so you get to go out with them and meet other people.

I'd also suggest keep on top of what fresher's events there are and whichever ones you like, go to as many as you can! Everyone is usually eager to meet people and make new friends during those events and just going to one is a great way to meet people and get word-of-mouth for what other events people are going to.

As for during your semester, I would recommend staying on campus as much as you can. If you have one class don't just show up and leave immediately after. A lot of the times your coursemates might be going to get something to eat or going to the library or cafe to study or even doing groceries after together, and it would be nice for you to be able to tag along so I'd recommend hanging around as much as you can. And if no one has any plans, you're open to suggest for you all to go do work or get food or something.

Do you know anyone else going to your uni? If you do and they live in halls then that would be a good way to have a fast means of knowing what's going on, and if they don't live in halls then you can be confused together. But if you don't know anyone don't worry, majority of people don't. I'd say keep an eye on emails and your student union for things like ice breakers, orientations, socials, freshers events and anything your course is doing for it's students and get out there as much as you can. Don't worry if you don't know anyone else going, a lot of the times when in halls people may go to an event just because another flatmate knocked on their door, so chances are you will be seeing some familiar and friendly faces.

Good luck starting at uni and have fun!

Jade
Official University of Southampton Rep
ChichesterStuRep
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

Like the others have said, getting involved in as much as you can in person will really help to build bonds with others. Joining societies, studying on campus, attending freshers events, etc.

I'd also recommend exchanging numbers/social media handles of any class mates or people you meet. Just don't be afraid to message! Whether that's to discuss some uni work or just to meet up, this is a great way to make friends and integrate yourself into other social circles.

Good luck for September!

Megan
University of Chichester Student Rep
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey Hey,

Understandably, the thought of missing out and meeting new people, can give you these anxious feelings however, there are plenty of other ways to meet people without living in uni halls! Also, you got the perks of saving money here haha!
I know it can be pretty overwhelming, however, just remember there will be some students with similar reservations and be in similar situations. You are not alone here!

Freshers week, to begin with, is a very good way of making friends. On the first few nights, I went out into the city together with people I met that first day, which gave us a great opportunity to get to know each other and meet more people! I'd suggest keeping on top of what fresher's events there are and whichever ones you like, go to as many as you can! Here, you are likely to meet people with similar interests and find out what events people are going to.

Join Societies! I have made many friends through my dance society and would for sure recommend joining any society that interests you. You are likely to meet people that have a similar interests here whilst exploring a hobby that you enjoy! Societies are a great way to develop your social scene whilst expanding interests outside of your course at university. There's usually taster sessions for free so I definitely recommend going to those and getting a feel of the society before you join. They're a great way to meet people outside of uni and going to the socials at each society, is also a great way to meet more people through other people.

Opportunities to get yourself out there and meet new people through other means is definitely an option too! Events, work and other extra-curricular opportunities are examples here.

Like my colleague mentioned, I would also recommend during your semester, staying on campus as much as you can. Here, you will get talking to people on your course and perhaps after a lecture etc, you can suggest grabbing a bite to eat or a bev after! Intro lectures are a great place to start conversation and suggesting something fun to do after class; like a coffee or drink!

Finally, keep on top of emails where events and opportunities will be advertised and exchange numbers/social media handles of any class mates or people you meet. Just don't be afraid to message! This I found to be a great way to carry on conversation, ask questions, find out opportunities through other people, make friends and integrate yourself into other social scenes!

So, do not worry and rest assured that there are plenty of other ways to meet new people! If you do find you are unhappy at any point, there will be help available from your student services online and in person, the well being team are always at hand!

If you need help with anything else, please comment and ask!

Best of luck, I'm sure ya'll be just fine!

Olivia (Uni of Southampton Ambassador)
https://www.southampton.ac.uk
Last edited by Uni of Southampton Students; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (26)
27.96%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
33.33%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (9)
9.68%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.23%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.38%
I’m starting to consider my university options (13)
13.98%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (4)
4.3%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.15%

Watched Threads