thebakali
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello everyone!
I have offers from multiple unis, and I want to know which one would be the one to go with.

Lancaster University- MSc Business Analytics
and MSc Digital Business, Innovation and Management

University of Liverpool- MSc Bus Analytics and Big Data

University of Sussex- Management of Information Technology

Swansea University- MSc Management (Business Analytics)

University of Portsmouth- MSc Data Analytics

Brunel University London- MSc Business Intelligence and Digital Marketing

Please help me decide!!!
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by thebakali)
Hello everyone!
I have offers from multiple unis, and I want to know which one would be the one to go with.

Please help me decide!!!
Congratulations thebakali!

It is great that you have so many choices, but it also makes deciding much more difficult.

First, I would advise finding out as much as you can about the courses and the modules, you may find one or two that excite you. Often they are related to the tutors research interests so they my vary.

Second, you need to think about what sort of University you want to be at, there is a big difference between a campus university and a city centre one. Think about the cost of living as well, if that makes a difference to you. There will be a huge difference in costs between London and Lancaster for example.

You may also want to be close to relatives and friends, so bear the geographical location in mind and look at transport links if that is important.

If it is feasible you could go to open days or look at the University web pages, most will have a multitude of videos about the facilities etc, but bear in mind they are promotional videos so will only show the good bits. Also most universities will have an ask a student scheme which is worth while chatting to someone who is there, you will probably find students from similar courses, but again bear in mind they are probably being paid by the University and also, they may have only been to one place, so have nothing to compare their experience with.

As with anything, the more research you can do, will lead to you making a better choice.

Good luck

Chris
University of Hull Student Ambassador
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by thebakali)
Hello everyone!

Please help me decide!!!
Hi! thebakali

I'm currently studying for my masters in Intelligence and International Criminal Justice. However, I can give you an overall opinion about the uni and what's its like to live in Portsmouth.

At Portsmouth, the academic support team are really helpful. There is a librarian and support staff for each subject and they too will help you with anything regarding your course and are really good if you are struggling with researching material. Lecturers are enthusiastic about what they teach to help you develop. Most are also currently doing research related to their topic area, which is really useful. I've had a lot of support as well from my personal tutor too not just regarding work but my career path.

The student wellbeing service is helpful and offers a wide range of guidance. Alongside this is the union which offer lots of guidance and experiences while at university.

There are loads of societies to choose from and they accept people from beginners too. The societies are all really friendly. it would be worth checking out their social media to have a see what they offer. Every Wednesday afternoon is when societies are given time to train, so your timetable does not interfere. Then in the evening is when socials go out for Purple Wednesday, where everyone dresses up etc. Each society will choose a different theme that they will dress as e.g. zoo animals, cops and robbers, Hawaiian, aliens, dynamic duos etc.

Most clubs and bars are a 5-minute walk from university halls, so there is no worry in your first year about getting there and back. The train station, supermarkets, shops and Gunwharf Quays are all within a 10-minute walk from the halls. There are also lots of independent shops and bars etc along Albert Road in Southsea where a lot of students live after they have been in halls. The University bus runs every 20 minutes and is close to most student houses. A lot of shops, bars and clubs offer a student discount and I would say drinks and stuff are pretty cheap, especially on student night where drinks can be £1.

I would suggest looking at the university and union social media to get a feel for the university. Even if you get the chance to visit for the day, as there's plenty to visit and see in Portsmouth.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi there,

First off, well done for all your offers, you should be really proud of yourself!

I'm currently in my final year at Lancaster and so I can give you a little overview about what I really like about Lancaster and what it has to offer. It's important to get as much info about all the unis you've got offers from and go to the place you'll be happiest, it's not just about the course, you also need to look at the city itself, whether it's a campus uni or not, what the student support is like and so on is so important to your experience but in the end, once you've got all that info, listening to your gut is always a good way to choose!

In my time here, I've found that one of the things that makes Lancaster so nice is the campus: it's lovely and green and everyone lives there in first year so it's really easy to meet up with your friends and there's 175+ societies to join so loads of ways to get involved in a sport or an acitivity you love, or even find a new one. In the city, there's a big park called Williamson Park that hosts the festival Highest Point once a year, several theatres and loads of restaurants and cafes meaning plenty of student jobs, both on and off campus. It is a fairly small city but there's always lots going on. The train station is right in the centre of town and it's a 1hr train to Manchester, 1h30 to Liverpool, 2h to Edinburgh and 2h30ish to London depending on which train you get. The Lake District is also so close which is really lovely to go to for the weekend or a day out. 

The university itself has a collegiate system, which is really great for student support, the Student's Union runs loads of different events every year from Freshers Week, to Roses (sports competition against York uni), Bonfire Night, the student nightclub and so much more. 

The University has also been consistently in the top 15 in the UK for a number of years, so it has a good reputation and there's a really great careers service which has really strong links with loads of employers and so is useful for people looking for internships or placements but you can also get help with your CV, mock interviews, help with graduate jobs and you can even use long after you've graduated.

I'd also suggest reaching out to one of our current students who is studying your subject or similar to get some ideas from them about what the course is like to study, here's the link to our Unibuddy.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
-Daisy (student ambassador)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.92%
As I expected (24)
30.77%
Harder (29)
37.18%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.13%

Watched Threads