Pens for a level exams

Watch this thread
_joe_12
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Are black ink rollerball pens acceptable? I use uni-ball micro pens and they are not gel pens so are they okay, they don't smudge and I really don't like biros or ball point pens so can I use rollerball pens?
Belgianwaffle38
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
If you mean something like a UB-157, then no, you can't use them in an exam unfortunately. I prefer them aswell.
_joe_12
Rep:
(Original post by Belgianwaffle38)
If you mean something like a UB-157, then no, you can't use them in an exam unfortunately. I prefer them aswell.
Mine are UB-150 but same thing I guess, but why can't you use them? The exam paper says use 'black ink' and it is blank ink so i don't know why they wouldn't be allowed??
_joe_12
Rep:
Does anyone else know if rollerball pens are allowed?
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _joe_12)
Does anyone else know if rollerball pens are allowed?
The problem in getting a definitive answer is that new products appear all of the time.
Gel pens were prohibited a long time ago because of issues some products caused in the scanning of papers for marking. Smearing, smudging, fading, flaking off the page, soaking through the exam paper etc. The examiners don't have time to test every product that appears so the rules simply say don't use them. Invigilators don't have time to wander round the room and check individual pens are ok.

Some web sites (e.g. Amazon) describe the Uni-ball products as gel pens. Obviously over time this type of pen has improved in quality and reliability. As with anything these days, cheap knock-offs and fake products are on sale that don't work as the real product should.

Your are not supposed to use them. If you use them it's at your own risk.
Last edited by gdunne42; 1 month ago
_joe_12
Rep:
(Original post by gdunne42)
The problem in getting a definitive answer is that new products appear all of the time.
Gel pens were prohibited a long time ago because of issues some products caused in the scanning of papers for marking. Smearing, smudging, fading, flaking off the page, soaking through the exam paper etc. The examiners don't have time to test every product that appears so the rules simply say don't use them. Invigilators don't have time to wander round the room and check individual pens are ok.

Some web sites (e.g. Amazon) describe the Uni-ball products as gel pens. Obviously over time this type of pen has improved in quality and reliability. As with anything these days, cheap knock-offs and fake products are on sale that don't work as the real product should.

Your are not supposed to use them. If you use them it's at your own risk.
The thing is I know they are not gel pens, they are ink not gel and the exam boards only say don't use gel pens not rollerball pens. And my ones are genuine not knockoffs from Amazon so I will use them I think. The pens never smudge either so I don't see the problem, and if my exams don't scan (which I don't see why they wouldn't as they are not gel pens) the examiner will just ask for my actual paper surely. I was reading amazon reviews and other people have used them for exams and it's unlikely that they have all had problems
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (52)
26.4%
As I expected (65)
32.99%
Harder (72)
36.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.06%

Watched Threads