The Student Room Group

Coasts

Explain the role of Geology in managing coastlines intentionally: (8 marks)

Our teacher wrote this down as a made-up potential question and other than that softer rocks may need more protection I really don't know what to write for this one. Any suggestions?
Maybe features like jointing, bedding and faulting in rocks are more vulnerable e.g. to freeze-thaw weathering, so need protecting? Some rocks are more prone to mass movement, for example clay, so may need cliff stabilisation? Also seaward vs landward dipping - seaward is more unstable. I'm not sure if these are right, but I hope they inspire you!
Reply 2
Original post by veganvet
Maybe features like jointing, bedding and faulting in rocks are more vulnerable e.g. to freeze-thaw weathering, so need protecting? Some rocks are more prone to mass movement, for example clay, so may need cliff stabilisation? Also seaward vs landward dipping - seaward is more unstable. I'm not sure if these are right, but I hope they inspire you!

Seem right to me and very very useful. The mass movement point links perfectly to my chosen case study as well at Holderness! Thankyou so much!
Make some brief notes. Focus more on the coastal erosion processes etc as well. Explain in more extensive detail.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending