Do you think school saps/sapped the fun out of learning?

Watch this thread
Other_Owl
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Some subjects we like but we have a teacher or taught in a different way. I was thinking about this.
Also I have left school.
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Whilst teachers do have their own teaching styles and one size does not fit all, I've never really had a problem with it.
As i gotten older, I realised that it wasn't actually school itself that made me hate school. It was actually the students who tend to misbehave and cause trouble; they're the ones that makes lessons difficult.
Angel cake 55
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
personally for me it is due to the teachers/ teaching style. I have chosen computing/ tech for my career and love it to bits, but hate the subject and get bad grades. I isolated for a lot of the first bit of Year 12 and struggled to stay to pace. My teachers constantly put me down and even told me not to do the subject, and not do this career. I am having to teach myself half the spec. So yh school has sapped the fun out of learning for me. I used to enjoy studying but now its literally painful to do. Can't wait to be out of here.
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yes
That's one of the reasons why I home educate
Last edited by PinkMobilePhone; 1 month ago
xox416
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Some teachers will suck the life out of you.
Thisismyunitsr
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Other_Owl)
Some subjects we like but we have a teacher or taught in a different way. I was thinking about this.
Also I have left school.
No. I loved school. I despise every single second of university and I wish I had never attended. That’s not fun at all.
tinyperson
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
yes and no
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
i think there's something about learning being attached to receiving a grade or qualification that can make learning less fun for a lot of people. Studying for a formal qualification in anything I'm really passionate about would make me miserable about as I'd loose interest in it.

A lot of lessons are pretty uninspiring too tbh.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
No, because I still enjoyed learning stuff on my own.

But I hated being drilled for exam taking, and I think I did more for myself in school than my teachers did for me. I was pretty disengaged and bored.
gtty123
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
The subjects where teachers were 'bad' didn't necessarily impact me at all. Where they couldn't teach, I'd teach myself (and that was fun).
Other_Owl
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by gtty123)
The subjects where teachers were 'bad' didn't necessarily impact me at all. Where they couldn't teach, I'd teach myself (and that was fun).
I had a bad GCSE ICT teacher which put me off working in tech for 8 years.
gtty123
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Other_Owl)
I had a bad GCSE ICT teacher which put me off working in tech for 8 years.
That's unfortunate. My ICT teacher was really good.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (39)
32.23%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (55)
45.45%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (26)
21.49%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.83%

Watched Threads