Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hey I need some help watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey I need some help.

I'm currently on a Access Course its 9hrs a week, and i've had to come off JSA to come onto the Access course.

However I wasnt aware that i needed to 12 hours (min) for my Access to claim the Adult Learning grant and i wasnt told by my University i needed to do an extra subject. However I was told I wasnt able to take on any more subjects then the ones I'm taking now.

(Biology 11- 2)
    (Health Studies 10-12)
    Study Skills (1-4)

So I'm 3 hours down and unable to fund myself though university. I haven't been able to get a part time job (although I'm trying desperatly).

Is there anything else I may be entitled to? I hate to ask my parents for money for transport/anything i need.

I was only told the other day that I wasnt entitled to it. Surely the university would of known i needed to take on an extra subject before this happened.

This is so pathetic I cant go on JSA they claim this as a full time course and no ALG what can I do?

ReputationRep:
    A full time course is 16 hours plus. Talk to someone at the job centre about this. There are people on my course (which is longer than yours) who are JSA and have no problems claiming it and studying.

ReputationRep:
    I was told I wasnt able because even though it was going to be under 16hrs they was still going to claim it as full time. My mum is going to see if we can talk to someone at uni or job centre, i keep getting rejections from jobs so its pray i can get onto something to help or my parents keep bailing me out which i'd hate (although it seems like it may just happen) or I quit and do a organised one at another college which is similar but theres more subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sapphire_Eyes)
    I was told I wasnt able because even though it was going to be under 16hrs they was still going to claim it as full time.
    Either they have a reason for this, or they are being totally unprofessional. I would deem that a disciplinary situation for whoever it was that refused you JSA.

ReputationRep:
    Try the Westfield centre for jobs, places like Next take on lots of Christmas staff, and then you'll have more experience to get a permanent job (or even better you might be kept on).

Hope that helps a little!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know whether it's the same, but a student bank acount requires one to be on a full time course, which is something like 16 hours a week minimum. I was confused because my course is only 12 hours, however we are expected to do 16 hours of private study a week, thus the course is counted as full time.

ReputationRep:
    Try applying for your college's Access to Learning fund, they may be able to help you out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indievertigo)
    Either they have a reason for this, or they are being totally unprofessional. I would deem that a disciplinary situation for whoever it was that refused you JSA.
    They are that ****ing ****. There is no other words. My old advisor only took notice and started doing her job when I got mum involved (again) before I went onto the course because my advisor wasnt helping me find a job. She even withheld information about 'job trials' which is where you get food/transport paid for i you do a trial for a job of 24 + hours and only decieded to tell me when my mum came along.

She was a complete ***** though. She wasn't that good at her job at all, she kepting finding jobs i wouldnt get (needed experience) then saying "oh your never GET that job". Trust me I never want to go back onto JSA EVER AGAIN. So unprofessional.

(Original post by LozengeC)
    Try the Westfield centre for jobs, places like Next take on lots of Christmas staff, and then you'll have more experience to get a permanent job (or even better you might be kept on).

Hope that helps a little!
    Hey thanks I had an interview for a re-opening Internacionale which I didnt get. Gutted I'll keep trying already had rejections from Boots/HMV as well.

(Original post by Friendly_cow)
    Try applying for your college's Access to Learning fund, they may be able to help you out
    Thanks I'll ask about that. Worth a shot

ReputationRep:
    I know quite a few people that work at Spondon ASDA, and that's not too far from Derby city centre on the R4 or R5.

ReputationRep:
    cool just filling in an application form for them for seasonal work/shop floor colleagues

ReputationRep:
    Aw wicked, I must be psychic. Hehe. Yeah, they seem to enjoy it there, and they're normally quite flexible for working hours.

Anyway, good luck! x

ReputationRep:
    Thank you I need all the luck I can get. Just having rotten luck at the moment

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.