The Student Room Group

Iodine clock

What are the advantages that using an iodine clock reaction rather than measuring the mass of product over time be?

Also is iodine clock a method or just an individual reaction that can't be applied to other reactions to measure their rates
i'm not sure how correct this is please correct me if i'm wrong but there wouldnt be a change in mass as theres no gaseous products so nothing would be leaving the reaction so the mass would be the same. the iodine clock reaction is specific to iodine cause it measures the colour change of iodine and how fast it happens, but other reactions can have clock reactions to measure rate if your measuring colour change. it would just be called something else instead of iodine clock reaction. hope that helps
Original post by awtumn23
i'm not sure how correct this is please correct me if i'm wrong but there wouldnt be a change in mass as theres no gaseous products so nothing would be leaving the reaction so the mass would be the same. the iodine clock reaction is specific to iodine cause it measures the colour change of iodine and how fast it happens, but other reactions can have clock reactions to measure rate if your measuring colour change. it would just be called something else instead of iodine clock reaction. hope that helps

By change in mass I also meant volume collected. But from your summary it seems the iodine clock is just another idea of gauging the rate of reaction of something using a ppt reaction at the end I guess you could have a bromine clock reaction with alkenes lol
Original post by Student 999
By change in mass I also meant volume collected. But from your summary it seems the iodine clock is just another idea of gauging the rate of reaction of something using a ppt reaction at the end I guess you could have a bromine clock reaction with alkenes lol

it still wouldnt change the mass as nothing would leave the reaction, usually the only time somethign would leave is if a gas is produced and it leaves the beaker. and volume would also be the same as both the reactants and products are aq so the volume should remain the same. and yep you're correct about the bromine reaction.

Quick Reply