Regretting University Before it Starts

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, recently I accepted a position at a certain university, and I have been SO excited and looking forward to it!
A few days ago, I joined lots of group chats for my university and messaged lots of people, and I am so disappointed. Everyone is so self-obsessed, trying to one-up eachother, and some people are being purely racist in the group chats already. I am regretting my choice so much based on the people that are going to the same uni as me. I am really struggling to meet people who are like me. Is this sort of thing normal? Will it all fizzle out? I am regretting this so much.
Quierosaber
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, recently I accepted a position at a certain university, and I have been SO excited and looking forward to it!
A few days ago, I joined lots of group chats for my university and messaged lots of people, and I am so disappointed. Everyone is so self-obsessed, trying to one-up eachother, and some people are being purely racist in the group chats already. I am regretting my choice so much based on the people that are going to the same uni as me. I am really struggling to meet people who are like me. Is this sort of thing normal? Will it all fizzle out? I am regretting this so much.
Remember not everyone that will be attending the university will be a part of the group chats. It’s possible that you could meet people that are on the same wavelength as you are when you start. But I understand, that sucks. Are there any upcoming offer holder days or open days?
0Lucy0
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
hi,

Honestly, people should be the least of your concerns. Considering how excited you are starting the course, why would you want to give up that easily? You should always try to pursue your dreams. If you keep switching courses you will get no where because obstacles are gonna be swinging left and right at you no matter what career you go into. Do what YOU want to do. Its important to be selfish sometimes..

Also, if people are being racist you can either bring it up to the teacher or whoever is head of your course and discuss your concerns with them. Its hard to open up but I'm sure they will understand and provide you with advice.

You also need to understand that no one is perfect. Other people may be acting like that because they want to fit in just like you. If you get to know them as a person you might be able to understand why they act in a certain way. BUT make sure not to focus too much on the people. You'll only be at university a couple of years and you can get your dream job. People are only temporary.

Honestly it is normal though, just be the best version of yourself and it will attract friendships.. Some careers are also very competitive which could explain why everyone is trying to 'up one another.'

This is just the start of your journey, and I do believe people can change, hopefully you do too.

Best of luck!

Lucy .
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Quierosaber)
Remember not everyone that will be attending the university will be a part of the group chats. It’s possible that you could meet people that are on the same wavelength as you are when you start. But I understand, that sucks. Are there any upcoming offer holder days or open days?
Hi! Yes, I went to the open day a month ago but there wasn't a time to mingle with other applicants. I'm hoping that there will be people like me who haven't joined the group chats(: Thank you.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 0Lucy0)
hi,

Honestly, people should be the least of your concerns. Considering how excited you are starting the course, why would you want to give up that easily? You should always try to pursue your dreams. If you keep switching courses you will get no where because obstacles are gonna be swinging left and right at you no matter what career you go into. Do what YOU want to do. Its important to be selfish sometimes..

Also, if people are being racist you can either bring it up to the teacher or whoever is head of your course and discuss your concerns with them. Its hard to open up but I'm sure they will understand and provide you with advice.

You also need to understand that no one is perfect. Other people may be acting like that because they want to fit in just like you. If you get to know them as a person you might be able to understand why they act in a certain way. BUT make sure not to focus too much on the people. You'll only be at university a couple of years and you can get your dream job. People are only temporary.

Honestly it is normal though, just be the best version of yourself and it will attract friendships.. Some careers are also very competitive which could explain why everyone is trying to 'up one another.'

This is just the start of your journey, and I do believe people can change, hopefully you do too.

Best of luck!

Lucy .
You're right, I am very excited about the course itself. Just thinking about all the money I'll be putting in to live a miserable life outside of the course has really changed my perspective though, but your contribution has helped a lot. Thank you! I feel odd not being able to one-up other people, so maybe they're only doing it as a coping mechanism to be "liked". But I thought that mentality ended at high school, I had no idea adults still acted like that.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
people on the gc aren’t representative of the whole uni but what uni btw so I can avoid 💀💀
Anonymous #1
people on the gc aren’t representative of the whole uni but what uni btw so I can avoid 💀💀
Reading /:
0Lucy0
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
You're right, I am very excited about the course itself. Just thinking about all the money I'll be putting in to live a miserable life outside of the course has really changed my perspective though, but your contribution has helped a lot. Thank you! I feel odd not being able to one-up other people, so maybe they're only doing it as a coping mechanism to be "liked". But I thought that mentality ended at high school, I had no idea adults still acted like that.
I understand, people develop differently though, and unfortunately not everyone matures as quickly as one another. I think you only really mature in your late 20's or early 30's. Its quite unlikely university students will mature quick as they have only really came out of college.. and no problem I'm glad I helped!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (26)
27.66%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
32.98%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (9)
9.57%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.19%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.32%
I’m starting to consider my university options (14)
14.89%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (4)
4.26%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed