Caught lying and 'stealing' at retail job

Watch this thread
Renmeya
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm mortified I've been working at this retail job for last week 8 months, it's not the best but it's close to home and was something to get me out of my house. I do struggle with OCD , social anxiety and autism but I decided not to disclose this when hired as In past attempts I believe I was looked over due to this.
I don't want to use this as excuses though I'm just ashamed that I cannot tell the truth when confronted.
I'm part time flexible contract of 7 hours but I never get under 25 HRs most weeks 32.
At our place things that are going out of date or display date get reduced and near end of night get reduced a final time but with two letters that indicates it will go free to colleagues with a card in last hour.
Ive always made use of this system to just bring treats to my dad and flowers to my mum.
For a while now they've started taking everything thats reduced off shelves early to scan to put around the back for charity.
I've been asked before if there was anything I wanted off there and on occasion said yeah and taken something.
So on to the main bit,
I had been eyeing a bouquet of flowers up waiting for it to get reduced for last time so I could take it and just put it under my till or in the locker room which I have done many times before with no problem. This time however they didn't bother reducing it for everyone and instead brought it straight out back to scan for charity food bank which comes bit later.
At this point I was feeling bit bummed about it but I'll live and I needed the loo so I got someone to cover and went out to go loo and noticed the trolley with everything reduced in ( all with the label that will show it can go for free to colleagues). I figured Id just take 2 bouquets of flowers and I brought them upstairs to the locker room. I was planning on just leaving them on my coat but I don't know I decided I'd put them in a locker ( I don't really have one but not that many use so I just put in empty random one). After I went to toilet I went back downstairs to get back to work. Ten minutes later the shift leader csme and asked me if I took some flowers off the charity Infront of the customers.

I know I should have just said yes sorry I thought I could.
But instead I said no.
She asked me again few minutes later if I'm being honest and I said again I was. Then all floor employees were called to back door I guess to search them and question.
At end of shift I was told to stay behind to talk with the leader and one of her close friends (colleague just a normal worker like me).
I was made to sign a form to agree to a search of my pockets locker.
I was really worried at this point but I don't know I just can't admit to things without going into a blubbering mess which I did at end of it.
I emptied pockets and everything I told the vague truth that I didn't have a locker (which I didn't really I just used it as it was empty). I'm not a complete idiot I knew they knew and would have checked CCTV by now but I just couldn't say the truth at this point. I feel like if they had said at start that it's fine not in trouble just want to know if you have, I would have said yes but I don't know I just can't deal with head on questions like I was asked first of all Infront of everyone.
I decided to bury myself deeper and said but if I'm honest I did take a bread baton from the trolley to take later. Was false but I don't know I wanted to feel like I was being at least mildly truthful even though it was a lie.

In end she said time to be honest I know you took them I saw CCTV now where did you put them.
Even I knew it was time to stop and just showed them the locker trying to hold back from shaming myself further by crying.
I signed another form I guess about gross misconduct. And was told would have to tell the manager and he'd decide what to do next.
She said how it was silly and she knows I wasn't going to steal it but I should have been honest from start and the fact I continued to lie about having a locker. This was when I started blubbering that I was worried etc.
I then asked how I'd give my resignation in and she said that's not what they want but if I want to I can.

I can't go into work again tomorrow I know everyone will know by then what I did and that I let everyone else get searched.
I'm disgusted with myself.
I can't go back in I don't want to even go back in to just hand a resignation in. I don't know what to do. I know I'm an idiot. My parents have been trying to get me to tell them what happened but I'm too ashamed with myself and they'd be so disgusted for having a daughter like me.
Last edited by Renmeya; 1 month ago
tinyperson
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
They can do that. I’m sorry but I recently also fired a badly behaved carer for this very reason so really its in your best interests to improve yourself.
Tracey_W
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Renmeya)
I'm mortified I've been working at this retail job for last week 8 months, it's not the best but it's close to home and was something to get me out of my house. I do struggle with OCD , social anxiety and autism but I decided not to disclose this when hired as In past attempts I believe I was looked over due to this.
I don't want to use this as excuses though I'm just ashamed that I cannot tell the truth when confronted.
I'm part time flexible contract of 7 hours but I never get under 25 HRs most weeks 32.
At our place things that are going out of date or display date get reduced and near end of night get reduced a final time but with two letters that indicates it will go free to colleagues with a card in last hour.
Ive always made use of this system to just bring treats to my dad and flowers to my mum.
For a while now they've started taking everything thats reduced off shelves early to scan to put around the back for charity.
I've been asked before if there was anything I wanted off there and on occasion said yeah and taken something.
So on to the main bit,
I had been eyeing a bouquet of flowers up waiting for it to get reduced for last time so I could take it and just put it under my till or in the locker room which I have done many times before with no problem. This time however they didn't bother reducing it for everyone and instead brought it straight out back to scan for charity food bank which comes bit later.
At this point I was feeling bit bummed about it but I'll live and I needed the loo so I got someone to cover and went out to go loo and noticed the trolley with everything reduced in ( all with the label that will show it can go for free to colleagues). I figured Id just take 2 bouquets of flowers and I brought them upstairs to the locker room. I was planning on just leaving them on my coat but I don't know I decided I'd put them in a locker ( I don't really have one but not that many use so I just put in empty random one). After I went to toilet I went back downstairs to get back to work. Ten minutes later the shift leader csme and asked me if I took some flowers off the charity Infront of the customers.

I know I should have just said yes sorry I thought I could.
But instead I said no.
She asked me again few minutes later if I'm being honest and I said again I was. Then all floor employees were called to back door I guess to search them and question.
At end of shift I was told to stay behind to talk with the leader and one of her close friends (colleague just a normal worker like me).
I was made to sign a form to agree to a search of my pockets locker.
I was really worried at this point but I don't know I just can't admit to things without going into a blubbering mess which I did at end of it.
I emptied pockets and everything I told the vague truth that I didn't have a locker (which I didn't really I just used it as it was empty). I'm not a complete idiot I knew they knew and would have checked CCTV by now but I just couldn't say the truth at this point. I feel like if they had said at start that it's fine not in trouble just want to know if you have, I would have said yes but I don't know I just can't deal with head on questions like I was asked first of all Infront of everyone.
I decided to bury myself deeper and said but if I'm honest I did take a bread baton from the trolley to take later. Was false but I don't know I wanted to feel like I was being at least mildly truthful even though it was a lie.

In end she said time to be honest I know you took them I saw CCTV now where did you put them.
Even I knew it was time to stop and just showed them the locker trying to hold back from shaming myself further by crying.
I signed another form I guess about gross misconduct. And was told would have to tell the manager and he'd decide what to do next.
She said how it was silly and she knows I wasn't going to steal it but I should have been honest from start and the fact I continued to lie about having a locker. This was when I started blubbering that I was worried etc.
I then asked how I'd give my resignation in and she said that's not what they want but if I want to I can.

I can't go into work again tomorrow I know everyone will know by then what I did and that I let everyone else get searched.
I'm disgusted with myself.
I can't go back in I don't want to even go back in to just hand a resignation in. I don't know what to do. I know I'm an idiot. My parents have been trying to get me to tell them what happened but I'm too ashamed with myself and they'd be so disgusted for having a daughter like me.
Don't resign if they are not asking for it...
You only do that if they ask for it rather than them dismissing you for what you done.
They will watch everything that you are doing from now
Go in tomorrow wherever you are working with as retailing covers a lot of different shops etc and see what happens with things.

It's stupid what you did for the sake of saving few pounds. You should have just asked another staff member to put it through the till with your staff discount if you get one and then put them aside in the locker room because you would have had a receipt for purchasing them.

Anyone who works in retailing normally does this. Including myself when I bought anything while working...

Once you been into work tomorrow ok see how you are feeling about things and then once you are back home perhaps sit down your parents and talk about what happened with them and give them what your work said about it.
AverageExcellence
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
We all make mistakes. You should ask to speak to the manager and apologise. You should then explain what you have here that you were taken by surprise by being being asked a barbed question infront of other employees and due to your anxiety and autism your knee jerk reaction was to just deny wrongdoing. Say that this stemmed from a misunderstanding in that the flowers still had the employee label on so you thought they were still fair game but now you realise how it looks and appreciate this will set back trust levels. If you are up front then maybe they will understand. But worst case scenario just get a new job and don't rely on them as a reference. It's not the end of the world and it's a valuable lesson to learn.
Renmeya
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to but I'm literally unable to without getting a lump in my throat and making a mess of myself.

I'm horrible with speaking and I was already scared talking to the manager I don't believe I'd even make it through a sentence.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (48)
31.17%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (67)
43.51%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (38)
24.68%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.65%

Watched Threads