is handwriting in exams a problem?

Watch this thread
jakewatkins22
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i’ve got my first a level exam on tuesday for psychology and i’m nervous about my handwriting. my handwriting is normally neat but to write fast in exam conditions it’s quite hard to read, my teacher said she can read it but she struggles
will i be marked down or possibly just not get my questions marked at all if they can’t read it? please be honest as i’m worried
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jakewatkins22)
i’ve got my first a level exam on tuesday for psychology and i’m nervous about my handwriting. my handwriting is normally neat but to write fast in exam conditions it’s quite hard to read, my teacher said she can read it but she struggles
will i be marked down or possibly just not get my questions marked at all if they can’t read it? please be honest as i’m worried
If the examiner can't read what you've written, then they can't award you marks for it. Since examiners usually are working at quite a fast pace, they are unlikely to take the time to really scrutinise your handwriting and try to figure out what it says, so you should try to make sure it is legible.

I also have quite poor handwriting, and when I sat my exams, I would take ten minutes at the end to quickly go through and try to fix any words that looked really messy.
awtumn23
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
they scan the papers and since the examiners have loads of papers they do it very fast and if they cant read it they may miss important key words. if its very illegible they'll probs give it to someone else but if it is i reccomend making your key words obvious by underlining them so they see it and write your 16 markers first when your not time pressured because thats when writing gets bad.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bluebeetle)
If the examiner can't read what you've written, then they can't award you marks for it. Since examiners usually are working at quite a fast pace, they are unlikely to take the time to really scrutinise your handwriting and try to figure out what it says, so you should try to make sure it is legible.

I also have quite poor handwriting, and when I sat my exams, I would take ten minutes at the end to quickly go through and try to fix any words that looked really messy.
They're not going to study it for hours, but you can expect them to make a reasonable attempt at understanding your paper. (your handwriting probably isn't the worst they've read anyway)

Also there are mechanisms for examiners to flag these things for someone else to review.
Student5cience
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
How long should you spend on 6.8.12 markers ?!
AmIReallyHere
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Student5cience)
How long should you spend on 6.8.12 markers ?!
Depends on the subject really
Student5cience
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Psychology AmIReallyHere
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (26)
27.96%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
33.33%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (9)
9.68%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.23%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.38%
I’m starting to consider my university options (13)
13.98%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (4)
4.3%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.15%

Watched Threads