This discussion is closed.
Sup?
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hey did anybody take this exam today? how did it go for you?
i thought it was ok generally, but a few questions i was unsure about, such as the dog's vision :confused:
Va Va Voom
Report 14 years ago
haha..and the flubber qs was annoying..didn't like it at all.i thought it was harder than past papers i'd done before but i attempted every qs. :bebored:
Sup?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by Va Va Voom)
haha..and the flubber qs was annoying..didn't like it at all.i thought it was harder than past papers i'd done before but i attempted every qs. :bebored:
hehe was it flubber or blubber ?
for that one the graph showed that the deeper you go into the blubber, the warmer the temp is so its shwoing how heat is being conserved within the blubber.
for the next part, i wrote about homeostatic mechanisms and how the arterioles contract when it is cold so that blood doesnt flow in the blubber etc=less radiation blah di blah.
froggymills
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Did anyone do Unit 5 - The Environment?
Va Va Voom
Report 14 years ago
i was supposed to do it, but backed out last minute..how was it?
wednesburywench
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by froggymills)
Did anyone do Unit 5 - The Environment?
I did the unit 5 but aqa A. Thought it was ok
froggymills
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Va Va Voom)
i was supposed to do it, but backed out last minute..how was it?
It was really hard! At our school we do Unit 5 before Unit 4 and there were loads of Unit 4 synoptic questions on photosynthesis and other stuff. The actual environment stuff wasnt bad! Did anyone else sit it?
joshdajoker
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think it was a very straight forward paper in comparison to practise papers. I personally messed up the loop of henle question. But the dog question seemed ok to me. I mentioned how the dog has 2 cones instead of 3 and how the range of wavelengths of light is greater than a humans as it can see well past blue. I also mentioned how it has a better vision all round but the perception of distance wont be as good as our because the eyes dont cross over as much.

I think this paper will be a high score for getting an A. In range of (55-57)/81 I reckon.
agy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
did any 1 talk about how the dog only had 10 or 20% cones in central part of retina where ass humans have 90 to 100% cones at sentral part of retina therefore humans have greater acuity?
Va Va Voom
Report 14 years ago
yes..for the 1 mark qs at the top of the page.
55-57/81 for an A seems too low. isn't an A around 80%?
Adil Bhai
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
no its ususually been in 51-55 but this year the paper SEEMED easier HOWEVER trust me there are loads of places to lose the odd mark, an example being the dog's vision and little bits here and there.
Va Va Voom
Report 14 years ago
i thought it was much harder than previous papers! but do-able. wow, so we can drop around 37 marks and still get an A? hmmm :cool:
kaisersalsek
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yeah, everyone who took biology 4 at my school (and trust me, there are some DAMN clever people) said it was hard/evil/nasty

oh well! I felt quite a bit of it was application and not knowledge
agy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
when do we get results? also remind me of the other questions on the paper i wana get an idea of how ive dun i think i did ok on dog eye question the seal one was heard and the last 1 on the loop on henle was ok what else was there again?
joshdajoker
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
we should get results end of March I think
agy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
to get an A in this paper u need 80% which is 65 out of 81. does any one now how many marks the dog question was in total?

what other hard questions were there i cant remember?
joshdajoker
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
you need 80/100 to get an A which is 80% UMS
the raw mark which corresponds to 80 will not be 65 I guarentee it. It is usually around 50-55 but I think perhaps this paper could be 57 for an A. However you can lose marks so easily you cant judge your performance to accurately like you can for say maths.

the dog question comprised of a 1 mark and a 6 mark question
Savage Noodles
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I found it realllly simple - Our 6th form has an annoying habit of teaching us WAY beyond the level we need - we learnt the eye from an oxbridge medical syllabus!!

The grade boundaries are always that low, I got 90/90 and 120/120 in two of last years modules and the raw mark of them was only around 85%
agy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
can some 1 explain to me all this raw mark and ums marks i dont get what u mean. i thought that you need 80% for and A which is 65 out of 80. i looked at all my last years exam results and i got exacly 80% in one exam which was an A. so how can it be possible to get an A with less then 80% i know that sum years they lower it or higher it according to the difficulty of the exams but isnt is always roughly 80%
oxymoron
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
an A is 80% UMS (ie the mark they give you on your results sheet) - this is not the same as your raw mark though. For example in an exam out of 60, often a raw mark of 56/60 will translate to a 100% UMS (ie on your results sheet it says 60/60). They standardise these depending on the difficulty of the paper so that it is always the same UMS needed for an A. For this reason, the raw mark needed for an A (ie to get an 80% UMS) can vary from year to year.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.18%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.41%
Not great so far... (251)
35.65%
I want to drop out! (132)
18.75%

Watched Threads