Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    it should be beginning to heal now so signs of improvement should be visible, you should simply see a blood clot at the bottom of the hole.
    what molar was it? your wisdom tooth?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if what i see in my socket is a clot or not - it's like a whiteish/yellowish/light brownish colour - something like that haha, i'm not too good at describing colours.

ReputationRep:
    are you rinsing with warm salty water like several people here told you? just keep doing it as often as you can - it helps healing and kills off bacteria. you have to do it especially after you have eaten and drunk anything other than water.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah - i've done warm salt-water mouthwashes and everything.

It looks brown with a huge circle of white in the middle at the moment - should i be seeing that??

ReputationRep:
    go and see a gp or a dentist.

ReputationRep:
    yep go see them if you are still worried, there is only so much i can say without seeing it myself!

ReputationRep:
    What colour would the jawbone be in the socket if i could see it??

ReputationRep:
    it would be white/yellowish white- like you would expect bone to look like.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks mate. So i guess that could be what i can see inside the socket - although i'm not in any pain from it yet, but really hope it isn't the bone as i've read about the horrible stuff you can get from it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott_Maslen_Fan)
    Thanks mate. So i guess that could be what i can see inside the socket - although i'm not in any pain from it yet, but really hope it isn't the bone as i've read about the horrible stuff you can get from it!
    it could be [I]a[I] possibility but really shouldnt be there right now considering it has been a few days which is why i do think you should see a dentist
    as long as you do your salty water rinses and keep the area clean it shouldnt be too much of a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Well, i'm not currently registered with a dentist. Had to go to our local walk in place in town to have this extraction done - but we had to phone for something the other day, and it was the dentist who extracted the tooth that we spoke too.

So i guess, i could ring up and ask him about what i'm seeing. I mean, it's always best if you see the one who did the extraction as they know exactly what they did, what was wrong with the tooth etc...

ReputationRep:
    did they not give you a follow up appointment????

and keep rinsing!!!! LOL

ReputationRep:
    aww bless ya

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Didn't get a follow up appointment!

Phoned the place up yesterday though as i had some bleeding, and the thing has been leaking yellow puss out. Hole still seems pretty deep to my eye. Also, my ear has been a bit achy today!

So am off to the place at quater to 3 today.

I wonder whether the socket has become infected or something??? What would they do???

ReputationRep:
    if it started bleeding again then definately go

ReputationRep:
    Well guys, went to see the man who extracted my tooth today, got my mum to phone them and i got an appointment for quater to 3 in the afternoon.

He had a look at it and gave it a clean out with some special suction machine thing, and then he has filled it with some kind of paste to try and help prevent an infection.

I also have to start taking Ibuprofen again as i told him that my ear and side of face and been a little bit achy, and he said that it's because i had my mouth open dead wide when he was pulling it out (i only have a small mouth to start with) so i have got some inflammation as the jaw and muscles around the ears are under strain when you open your mouth dead wide - so i gotta stick soft foods and cut any big pieces of food up so that i don't open my mouth wide and it can heal.

What i wanna know though is - can i still do my Salt-Water mouthwashes or would that was the paste out that he's put in to prevent infection???

ReputationRep:
    don't worry. after the second day, you may rinse the mouth gently with warm salt water or mild antiseptic rinses. Protect the wound. Keep any source of irritation and/or infection away of the wound. Chew on the opposite side of the mouth for 24 hours. Eat soft foods. Avoid to press your tongue on the area of the wound. Do not put your fingers in the mouth just to check the wound. Wash well your hands before changing the gauze.

ReputationRep:
    It's gonna look a bit manky for a week or two. It's just scabs really. But special gum scabs! But no harm asking your dentist. They shouldn't charge you.

But also BEWARE: Some dentists will recommend you have a tooth taken out just because it's cheaper for them than fixing your tooth on the NHS. As it takes a long time to do a root canal and they could be spending their time on private patients.

Last week I had the option of paying £800 for a root canal and crown on my front molar or have it removed for £100. I decided to pay the £800 because it's worth it not to lost that tooth. Even though they refused to do it on the NHS. The bloodsuckers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott_Maslen_Fan)
    I had a tooth extraction yesterday morning, one of the big molars at the back.

The inside of the hole has turned like a yellow colour. I also have the most revolting taste in my mouth. Apparently i've also got a horrible smell coming from my mouth according to my mum.
    How many day did u extracted it? did you know how to care the wound? . It is better to stop smoking at least for some days, as it may promote bleeding and delay tooth extraction healing.
    Brushing. Good oral hygiene is important for the healing process. Immediately after the extraction, avoid brushing the teeth next to the extraction area. Resume normal brushing and flossing from the next day, but be careful and gentle until the extraction wound is fully healed.
    Rinsing. Avoid rinsing for 24 hours following the procedure. Rinsing can disturb the formation of a blood clot which is essential for proper tooth extraction wound healing. If your dentist recommends it, after the second day, you may rinse the mouth gently with warm salt water or mild antiseptic rinses.

ReputationRep:
    what is the dry socket? how to treat it?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.