Teaching in the US with a PGCE (but not a complete ECT induction)

Watch this thread
yoshimax
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm American and came to the UK to do a PGCE. I did part of my ECT year here after the PGCE and got sponsored for a visa by my school, but unfortunately it didn't work out (I failed my first ECT term then had to leave halfway through my second term due to an incident). I'm having to move back to the US now due to losing the visa, and I'm wondering if it would be at all possible to work as a teacher again. I won't be anywhere near a British international school -- would that be the only way I could teach with a PGCE? Has anyone else managed to teach in the states with a PGCE without a completed ECT/NQT induction?
TriplexA
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by yoshimax)
I'm American and came to the UK to do a PGCE. I did part of my ECT year here after the PGCE and got sponsored for a visa by my school, but unfortunately it didn't work out (I failed my first ECT term then had to leave halfway through my second term due to an incident). I'm having to move back to the US now due to losing the visa, and I'm wondering if it would be at all possible to work as a teacher again. I won't be anywhere near a British international school -- would that be the only way I could teach with a PGCE? Has anyone else managed to teach in the states with a PGCE without a completed ECT/NQT induction?
Hi there.

TSR is a UK based forum so I'm unsure if anyone on here can help with your query Nevertheless I'll tag Muttley79 who could offer some form of advice.

Best wishes
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Sorry I have no idea how the US system works.
yoshimax
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TriplexA)
Hi there.

TSR is a UK based forum so I'm unsure if anyone on here can help with your query Nevertheless I'll tag Muttley79 who could offer some form of advice.

Best wishes
Yeah, I know. But I doubt anyone in the US would know as very few Americans have trained to teach in the UK, so I figured this was my best shot.
EIL3EN
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah, I know. But I doubt anyone in the US would know as very few Americans have trained to teach in the UK, so I figured this was my best shot.
I may be completely off but I know a few American teachers (I'm currently overseas). In America aren't teaching licenses through individual states? It could be worth looking for the requirements for a teaching license in the state you'll be moving to and see what's required and if the PGCE alone is enough? I'm really sorry to hear that you lost your visa.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (7)
43.75%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (4)
25%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
12.5%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (2)
12.5%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
6.25%

Watched Threads