Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    Im forever coming in from the pub drunk and watching tv and falling asleep. Usually with a light on. Really need to stop that.
    Most decent TVs have a 'sleep' function. I sometimes set it to 30 minutes, then if I fall asleep the TV will turn itself off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc101)
    Why, may I ask?! :p: Have you got some sort of paranoia about not being able to be contacted by instant message every minute of the day?!
    No :P
    I just like having the mac on at night so it can guide me to bed, and then it turns off the screen itself without me having to turn off it or whatever, and i use it for about 5 minutes every morning for the light to wake me up. and the paris thing was an accident :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed.)
    I have spent the last week away from my student room, it was reading week so I went home. Anyway I return back to my room today and to my horror see I left not one but two lights on all week :o: This is really quite awful.

In the same vein everybody 'fes up to your worst environmental disasters ...
    Don't feel bad. I once went out of the country for a whole month and when we came back we realized we left the air conditioner on the whole time.

ReputationRep:
    I exist when there's no reason to besides self-interest. I'm sowwy :3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xaxa)
    Most decent TVs have a 'sleep' function. I sometimes set it to 30 minutes, then if I fall asleep the TV will turn itself off.
    Even then, they still use up A LOT of energy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkel)
    Even then, they still use up A LOT of energy.
    They use a lot less on standby (after the sleep thing has activated, it just puts the TV into standby) compared to being left switched on.

e.g. 100W compared to 1W.

ReputationRep:
    Aww. But the planet (and your pocket, considering your heating bill!) thanks you! :p:
    I think I was scared of the fire risk more than anything else. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Aww. But the planet thanks you! :p:
    Yes...of course it does.
    http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/10013541.html

Perspective much?

ReputationRep:
    Actually lights use very little electricity

ReputationRep:
    This environmentalism is getting stupid. For petes' sake, don't lose any sleep over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGimpMan)
    My PC is on 24 hours a day.

Die planet!

edit: nevermind, thought you said laptop

(Original post by biffyclyro27)
    you do realise this absolutely destroys your hardware after a while.
    wat

What exactly does it damage? Only the stuff with moving parts could be harmed, and disc drives and PSUs take more than "a while" to stop working due to use.

ReputationRep:
    My only big one is leaving my computer on pretty much non-stop for about 2 years (and this is only my current computer), with intermittent breaks in which to replace components, remove dust, or when my mum comes into my room and turns it off etc.

(Original post by biffyclyro27)
    you do realise this absolutely destroys your hardware after a while.
    Meh, the length of time it takes for that to happen is massive; you're ready for a new one anyway by the time a component fails.

ReputationRep:
    When I didn't work saturdays, my computer would be on all day (I used it to play music !) and eventually it overheated so often I think it actually burnt out the alarm that tells me its overheating... I only get the occasional squeak now !!
    Apart from obsessive computer use, I'm pretty good. I do own a lovely rosewood clari, and as soon as I can afford it I'll buy another, thats probably what I'm worst for, that and leaving stuff on standby (Can't reach my computer plug!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    I have a friend who hasn't turned his off for months...
    Apart from when I'm moving it from A to B, I haven't shut mine down for about 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    I turn my radiator up and leave the window open at the same time, and I leave things to charge overnight. *cry*, I'm such a bad person. ;~;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    Apart from when I'm moving it from A to B, I haven't shut mine down for about 2 years.
    :lolwut:

Checked your electricity bill recently? :p:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I have a friend who hasn't turned his off for months...
    My Computer hasn't been switched off for just over 2 months now (excluding restarts) :ninja:

In my defense, It's always doing stuff, scans etc

:p:

ReputationRep:
    i fart a lot...

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut:

Checked your electricity bill recently? :p:
    Yeah, but it doesn't really make that much difference tbh. It's also better for computer equipment's longevity to leave it on.

The whole extent to which turning things off standby etc makes a difference to our national emissions is completely exaggerated. The answer is to produce power which is less polluting in the first place.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.