GCSE Physics Electricity

Watch this thread
xx.arianagrande
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
In the equation V = IR, when I increases, R decreases so V should remain constant, right? But when R increases, V decreases and vice versa, so why is that?
SagaciousSag
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
V increases.
xx.arianagrande
Rep:
(Original post by SagaciousSag)
V increases.
what?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by xx.arianagrande)
what?
It depends on what's being kept constant. Saying that I increases and R decreases is only the case if V is being kept constant.
xx.arianagrande
Rep:
(Original post by Sinnoh)
It depends on what's being kept constant. Saying that I increases and R decreases is only the case if V is being kept constant.
Then in what case would V increase as R decreases?
Sinnoh
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Then in what case would V increase as R decreases?
This would be if you were somehow rapidly increasing the current, but that doesn't really make much sense in this context. The devices you'd encounter in circuits in GCSE would generally have a specific value of potential difference (for a given circuit configuration); the only way to modify it would be to change the voltage of the battery or by adding more components in the circuit.
xx.arianagrande
Rep:
(Original post by Sinnoh)
This would be if you were somehow rapidly increasing the current, but that doesn't really make much sense in this context. The devices you'd encounter in circuits in GCSE would generally have a specific value of potential difference (for a given circuit configuration); the only way to modify it would be to change the voltage of the battery or by adding more components in the circuit.
But I got an exam question which mentioned V increasing as R decreases?
AlanT12
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Post the full wording of the question.
Sinnoh
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
This could be the case with multiple components in the circuit, i.e. a potential divider (more of that in A-level)
xx.arianagrande
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by AlanT12)
Post the full wording of the question.
Q04.6 https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-...F-QP-NOV20.PDF

The answers should be decreases, decreases
Ethanity007
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
The emf of battery is assumed to be constant. When u increase the number of resistor in the ckt, effective resistance increases and thus the current flowing in the ckt decreases. The potential difference across each resistor (p.d = IR) thus decreases
xx.arianagrande
Rep:
(Original post by Ethanity007)
The emf of battery is assumed to be constant. When u increase the number of resistor in the ckt, effective resistance increases and thus the current flowing in the ckt decreases. The potential difference across each resistor (p.d = IR) thus decreases
? what is emf
vapordave
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
? what is emf
It means potential difference/voltage (not quite but you don't need to know the difference for GCSE)
xx.arianagrande
Rep:
Then what is the relationship between V, I and R? e.g. As I increases, R decreases etc.?
xx.arianagrande
Rep:
(Original post by vapordave)
It means potential difference/voltage (not quite but you don't need to know the difference for GCSE)
Thanks
mustz__
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
In the equation V = IR, when I increases, R decreases so V should remain constant, right? But when R increases, V decreases and vice versa, so why is that?
No, Resistance will always be constant in GCSE physics from what I remember, So V is directly proportional to I, therefore V increases means I increases and vice versa
xx.arianagrande
Rep:
(Original post by mustz__)
No, Resistance will always be constant in GCSE physics from what I remember, So V is directly proportional to I, therefore V increases means I increases and vice versa
I thought resistance can increase/decrease?
Ethanity007
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Resistance of an ohmic resistor will be a constant (if qn say a resistor… we assume this resistor has constant resistance.

For your questions, they are more resistors connected in series. So the effective resistance of the whole ckt increases.
Ethanity007
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
For non ohmic resistor like thermistor or LDR (light dependant resistor), their resistance changes when temperature and light intensity changes respectively. Temperature/intensity increases, resistance decreases and vice versa.

For light bulb, as the temperature increses, its resistance increases.
xx.arianagrande
Rep:
Resistance of an ohmic resistor will be a constant (if qn say a resistor… we assume this resistor has constant resistance.

For your questions, they are more resistors connected in series. So the effective resistance of the whole ckt increases.
ok so for my question, we assume this resistor has constant resistance because it is an ohmic resistor? But then what do you mean by the resistance increasing?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (7)
41.18%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (4)
23.53%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
11.76%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
17.65%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5.88%

Watched Threads