Difficult choice/psychology

Watch this thread
lylka92
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi guys! I would really appreciate if you can help me with this one. I received offers from both the University of Surrey and Royal Holloway for Psychology BS. The only difference is that in Surrey I am going to have a foundation year (which I believed was going to be beneficial for me, as I am almost 30, have two little children at home, I am Bulgarian and my English is not perfect yet, and I feel a bit insecure about my academic skills overall), and in Royal Holloway my course is going to be Psychology with neuroscience. Initially, Surrey was my first choice, but when I got an unconditional offer from Royal Holloway I kind of changed my mind. Now I am torn between both. The foundation year would give me more gradual introduction to what higher education in the UK is like, but I love everything about Royal Holloway- the campus, the modules, and non the least it has a higher rank for Psychology. And yet, what holds me back from accepting their offer straight away is my fear that I won't be able to keep up with everything. Help 😅
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Don't doubt yourself. If Royal Holloway did not think you could cope with the demands of the course then they would not have offered you an unconditional place Self-doubt - leave it out.
normaw
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lylka92)
Hi guys! I would really appreciate if you can help me with this one. I received offers from both the University of Surrey and Royal Holloway for Psychology BS. The only difference is that in Surrey I am going to have a foundation year (which I believed was going to be beneficial for me, as I am almost 30, have two little children at home, I am Bulgarian and my English is not perfect yet, and I feel a bit insecure about my academic skills overall), and in Royal Holloway my course is going to be Psychology with neuroscience. Initially, Surrey was my first choice, but when I got an unconditional offer from Royal Holloway I kind of changed my mind. Now I am torn between both. The foundation year would give me more gradual introduction to what higher education in the UK is like, but I love everything about Royal Holloway- the campus, the modules, and non the least it has a higher rank for Psychology. And yet, what holds me back from accepting their offer straight away is my fear that I won't be able to keep up with everything. Help 😅
Don't worry about your standard of English - it's streets ahead of a lot of the posts on this forum. Also, taking the Royal Holloway offer means you won't have an extra year of fees to pay.
TheLetterZ
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
You sound like you prefer Royal Holloway. And in my humble opinion, a foundation year in psychology is unnecessary because psychology degrees are non-technical (with the exception of statistics, which the foundation course at Surrey does not include anyway). If you are concerned about your academic skills nevertheless, considering brushing up on your critical thinking and writing skills before you begin your programme. If you are concerned about any specific module(s), try to find the compulsory/recommended reading for said module(s) and take a peek.
Last edited by TheLetterZ; 4 weeks ago
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lylka92)
Hi there!

It's great to hear you have applied to Surrey and received an offer. If you have questions about Surrey or uni life, please ask, as I am here to help you.

It's a tough decision trying to decide what university is better for you; however, some tips I have is to look closer into each course, the modules etc. From there, have a general idea of what course you like better and what modules appeal to you more. You can also look at the university itself and compare the universities based on facilities, support or anything you think is important to you for a university to have. Finally, you can have a look at the accommodation or the town. That way, you are considering many factors that may help you decide. I would also suggest speaking to your family and friends about each university and seeing which one you're more passionate about when talking to them.

Joao
Economics
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (8)
44.44%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (4)
22.22%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
11.11%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
16.67%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5.56%

Watched Threads