AQA A Biology today....what did you think? Watch

This discussion is closed.
sash37uk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Thought it was OK, some questions were hard tho. What questions stumped you?
likela
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
I thought it wasn't easy, the problem is after you answered it you don't know whether you got the mark or not.
D.S.
Report 13 years ago
Really not sure what i could get, some has appeared in the past papers, but set in different styles.
vickyrkenya
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ecosystems paper yes?

I thought it was ok at first, then afterwards in discussion with my friends found that i had screwed up quite a few marks. Like the distribution question-i had written about the three different types of distribution-directional etc.

And the gene mutiations thing...i wasnt sure if it meant point mutations and... or things like substitution/deletion of bases. I put the latter.
kevins
Report 13 years ago
wasnt to bad. Some questions were quite tricky. You lot think the grade boundary will go down a bit?
wednesburywench
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I thought it was ok wasnt too hard wierd questions though. I duno wat i wud get marks for etc. I put discontinuous variation and it was continuous grr. N i put the process of nitrate to ammonia as nitfirication when its denitrification grr. That question what is a mutation! argh how do you describe that! Atleast there was no hardy weinberg i alsways **** up on that! The diagram for respiration/photosynthesis was confusing too. Was a wierd paper really. Dont think i did too badly though, hopefully anyways i need an A
kevins
Report 13 years ago
i dont think it was continuous variation. i thought it was discontinuous
vickyrkenya
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
So did I.
vikhas786
Report 13 years ago
nitrate to ammonia is nitrification
nitrate to nitrogen gas is denitrification
wednesburywench
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah i know it was denitrification but it wasnt nitrification cus it didnt ask you ammonia to nitrate it asked nitrogen to ammonia which is ammonification. My friends reakoned it was continuous cus apparently it was on about lengths and thats continuous data discrete is when you have set values.....tho i thought the graph had to be a normal curve to be continuous.
alkaeda
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by wednesburywench)
Yeah i know it was denitrification but it wasnt nitrification cus it didnt ask you ammonia to nitrate it asked nitrogen to ammonia which is ammonification. My friends reakoned it was continuous cus apparently it was on about lengths and thats continuous data discrete is when you have set values.....tho i thought the graph had to be a normal curve to be continuous.
i think its called nitrogen fixation (not ammonification - did u make that word up? :P)... what questions did you guys find hard?? I found the one on niche pretty tough as i didnt know exaactly which niche each species belonged to - the diagram was confusing!

Also the question on name two structural features of a protoctisca, i just put chloroplasts and cell wall although i think its wrong, what did you guys all put??

Hmm and what was you chi squared value? i got it as around 7 (i think).
kevins
Report 13 years ago
i put has cell membrane and nuclues. beacause not all protoctista have cell walls
Hawk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
For two cell structures of protoctista I put chloroplast and mitochondria. - after leaving the exam I thought this was wrong but just researched it and some do
Also the question on name two structural features of a protoctisca, i just put chloroplasts and cell wall although i think its wrong, what did you guys all put??
I don't think it will matter if not all of them have a cell wall, you just had to name any possible cell feature, it was a very open question, especially for protoctista as it contains everything that doesn't fit in the other kingdoms.

I also got 7. something for the chi-squared (made a balls of it at first and ended with 600 odd and thought emm that can't be right lol)

What did everyone write for the respiratory qutoient question about why they obtained 1.6 and not 1.0?
I said something about them respiring anaerobically which would reduce the ammount of O2 absorded and therefore increase RQ, but I doubt wheter thats right.
animaluvva
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I thought it was continuous variation on the graph because the bars were joined together...I thought discontinuous variation graphs had bars that were separate from each other / had spaces between them...could be wrong though
animaluvva
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Hawk)
I don't think it will matter if not all of them have a cell wall, you just had to name any possible cell feature, it was a very open question, especially for protoctista as it contains everything that doesn't fit in the other kingdoms.
I put nucleus and mitochondria but I'm not sure that was right because they asked for structural features....do they count as structural?

(Original post by Hawk)
What did everyone write for the respiratory qutoient question about why they obtained 1.6 and not 1.0?
I said something about them respiring anaerobically which would reduce the ammount of O2 absorded and therefore increase RQ, but I doubt wheter thats right.
I said that they may be using more than one respiratory substrate, resulting in more carbon dioxide being produced than O2 consumed!?! Could well be wrong....
danguetta
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Most of us thought it was a bit wierd - what did you people get for the advantage of the standard deviation over the range?
sash37uk
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I got it as continuous variation coz salmon dont have set sizes! they can vary in length.

I also got the stuctural features of protoctista as linear chromosomes and membrane-bound organelles.
Hawk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by danguetta)
Most of us thought it was a bit wierd - what did you people get for the advantage of the standard deviation over the range?
Standard deviation takes into account every value and how far away on average they are from the mean, whereas the range only includes the largest and smallest value.
It also produces a value which allows different groups to be compared relative to each other.
At least thats what I put but there might be other points as well
!Laxy!
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Okay, I thought overall it was a hard paper compared to past ones, but it was okay.

The graph showed DISCONTINUOUS VARIATION it wasn't continuous as there were seperate bars - they were in class intervals and hence it was discrete data. To continuous a curve would have to be present.

The nitrogen one was: nitrogen fixing and denitrification.

RQ: anaerobic converts pyruvatee to ethonal and carbon dioxide - hence more carbon dioxide is produced giving a higher RQ value.

For the Protocista one i put: nucleus and membrane bound organelles.

The gene one wanted base substitution and base deletion/addition.
animaluvva
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by !Laxy!)
The graph showed DISCONTINUOUS VARIATION it wasn't continuous as there were seperate bars - they were in class intervals and hence it was discrete data. To continuous a curve would have to be present.
I disagree, sorry....this is taken from a book -
'when the data is discontinuous, the graph is shown as a bar chart and the blocks are NOT drawn to touch each other'

The graph we had was drawn with the bars touching so it was showing continuous variation. And, it was showing measurements of length which are continuous data.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (184)
80.35%
Leave (45)
19.65%

Watched Threads