This discussion is closed.
!Laxy!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by animaluvva)
I disagree, sorry....this is taken from a book -
'when the data is discontinuous, the graph is shown as a bar chart and the blocks are NOT drawn to touch each other'

The graph we had was drawn with the bars touching so it was showing continuous variation. And, it was showing measurements of length which are continuous data.
Well my biology teacher said it was discontinuous so??????
!Laxy!
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by alkaeda)
i think its called nitrogen fixation (not ammonification - did u make that word up? :P)... what questions did you guys find hard?? I found the one on niche pretty tough as i didnt know exaactly which niche each species belonged to - the diagram was confusing!

Also the question on name two structural features of a protoctisca, i just put chloroplasts and cell wall although i think its wrong, what did you guys all put??

Hmm and what was you chi squared value? i got it as around 7 (i think).
Chi squared was: 7.016

Population estimate of woodlice was 672
!Laxy!
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by danguetta)
Most of us thought it was a bit wierd - what did you people get for the advantage of the standard deviation over the range?
I said the SD was representative of the whole population whilst the range was influenced by extreme values.
wednesburywench
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think its continous as it shows all values, tho i put discontinuous by mistake grr. no i didnt make up ammonification, thats what it says in my book n wat everyone in our school put, its what weve learned (also called nitrogen fixation). I got 7 point sumat for chi squared and 6 hundred n sumat for the capture thingy too. For the rq question i put about there being no oxygen therefore value is higher, and the standard deviation takes into account the range from the mean not just the spread.
Hawk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It was definitly continuous data as it was length, and as far as I remember the question didn't ask which it ways, It stated it was continuous and asked you to give reasons why.
Fluent in Lies
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
How could fish lengths be discrete?
animaluvva
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hawk)
It was definitly continuous data as it was length, and as far as I remember the question didn't ask which it ways, It stated it was continuous and asked you to give reasons why.
The question asked what kind of variation the graph showed and to provide some evidence for this - and I agree with you about it being continuous (checked with my teacher today and he agreed as well)
anycon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
After deforestation CO2 levels are decreased by respiration right?

I'm having a dispute with a fellow biologer: I thought the question about a/cyanogenic plants said that their membranes break in the cold, enzymes responsible for cyanide production leak out and that meant they could no longer produce cyanide & that's it, but he thought the reason there were no cyanogens at all in the -10C range was that they had poisoned themselves w/ the cyanide that leaked out. Thoughts?

And when it said precise location of process 2 how precise did you have to be?

Thx all
sash37uk
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
It was because they had been poisoned. If you read a bit earlier on you would have seen that cyanide is toxic to plants, so therefore if the cyanide is released, due to low temperatures, the cyanide would kill the plants.
anycon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Riiiight. I did know cyanide was toxic. But I think I read it too quickly cos I'm sure it said when the membranes break the enzymes that produce cyanide leak out, and that would imply to me that no cyanide would be around to poison the plant. Perhaps there was some residual cyanide.
animaluvva
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Damn, that was really clever....I had four minutes to answer that last bit so I wrote about the enzyme being inactive at low temperatures....thought that was kind of weird because enzymes are AS, lol
wednesburywench
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Damn i didnt see the toxic bit, i thought it was because the membrances break releasing the enzyme, so no more cyanide can be produced if the enzyme isnt there anymore to produce it right? thats wat i put anyway. I duno how specific they meant i normally put mitochondira but put matrix of the mitochondria this time (although i think its inner membrane now or so iv been told?)
animaluvva
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If I'm thinking of the right question, I put cristae of the mitochondria
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by anycon)
After deforestation CO2 levels are decreased by respiration right?
I don't know what this particular question was about but respiration increases CO2 levels...
animaluvva
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah, the question asked why deforestation would increase CO2 levels and then decrease CO2 levels...I think respiration (or lack of) was the answer for why deforestation decreased CO2 levels, anycon's answer is right i think, they just worded what they'd written here differently.
anycon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by animaluvva)
If I'm thinking of the right question, I put cristae of the mitochondria
Whoops I just put mitochondria. Couldn't remember precisely where process took place. I didn't think liquid matrix tho.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (57)
23.85%
No (182)
76.15%

Watched Threads