Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i know there are other threads on this but.. just want to know if this is okay.

after each work out (4 a weeK) how does 10mins on cross trainer and 10 on treadmill sound?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your fitness levels. Also if your trying to bulk you'll need to eat more to compensate for the calories burned.

Personally i prefer to work out and do cardio on other days. I like to keep my fitness up so twice a week i do a good cardio session - about 5 or 6 miles while trying to improve my time.

To make a big difference to your cardio you would probably need to do more than 10 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    its more 'reduicing body fat' than cardio im worried about atm! and i dont really want to have a cardio day because i need to rest.. in order to grow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missionpossible)
    its more 'reduicing body fat' than cardio im worried about atm! and i dont really want to have a cardio day because i need to rest.. in order to grow!
    Okay, i assumed you meant that you wanted to improve your cardiovascular fitness.

Well if your trying to get bulk and reduce your body fat then just make sure you eat clean calories and do the proper work outs. Running, rowing and other forms of physical exercise will also be of a benefit to reducing your body's fat.

Unless your work out is seriously intense like Max OT you seriously don't need that much rest. Long as your getting enough vitamins and sleep. Obviously don't work your biceps everyday or something like that but on your "rest day" don't be afraid to play some sports like tennis or football cause its all good for you
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I had a session with a well qualified personal trainer today.
    My aims are to reduce fat and gain lean muscle
    His advice was to stay away from the machines, and don't bother running further that 400m at a time. My workout now is 5 pull-ups, 10 pressups then 15 squats, and repeat that as many times as possible in 15 minutes. I do swimming after. I almost died today it DOES work.

(Original post by T-o dore)
    His advice was to stay away from the machines, and don't bother running further that 400m at a time. My workout now is 5 pull-ups, 10 pressups then 15 squats, and repeat that as many times as possible in 15 minutes. I do swimming after. I almost died today it DOES work.
    I actually quite like that in a fitness trainer. Try to beat the number of rounds each workout, and sit down with him to change your routine up in a few weeks. If this type of circuit training is your thing, have a look at CrossFit, Ross Training, the Tabata method etc. Your other concern is diet: as close to calorie maintenance or surplus will meet your goals as long as your energy comes from good, clean sources.

OP: You're burning calories by the machine work afterwards. Your cardiovascular fitness is barely improved; in reality you're essentially working against the anabolic environment you're trying to create by weight training and eating a caloric surplus. I'd recommend clean bulking with focus on nutrition on top of an established workout method based on compound lifts. If you want accesory work, keep it to HIIT, hill sprints, and circuits built around anaerobic bodyweight and gymnastic exercises.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Rainy)
    I actually quite like that in a fitness trainer. Try to beat the number of rounds each workout, and sit down with him to change your routine up in a few weeks. If this type of circuit training is your thing, have a look at CrossFit, Ross Training, the Tabata method etc. Your other concern is diet: as close to calorie maintenance or surplus will meet your goals as long as your energy comes from good, clean sources.

OP: You're burning calories by the machine work afterwards. Your cardiovascular fitness is barely improved; in reality you're essentially working against the anabolic environment you're trying to create by weight training and eating a caloric surplus. I'd recommend clean bulking with focus on nutrition on top of an established workout method based on compound lifts. If you want accesory work, keep it to HIIT, hill sprints, and circuits built around anaerobic bodyweight and gymnastic exercises.
    Thanks for this! rep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainy)

everyone keeps going on about HIIT, but nobody explains how to do it?? is it just on the treadmill, 3 minutes super quick, 2 mins walking repeat ?

Google and forum search are your friends - I can't be arsed to regurgitate what has been said elsewhere. Tip: off the treadmill and into the outdoors, track, or swimming pool.

ReputationRep:
    if your goal is to get leaner and bigger then 10 mins on the treadmill is perfectly find. although id reccommend you do 20 mins at around 7 - 10 kph.

ReputationRep:
    HIIT = high intensity interval training.

The time of the intervals depends on you. I used to do 1 min sprinting (90%) and then 1 min walking, repeat! I used to do this for 10-20 mins!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missionpossible)
    everyone keeps going on about HIIT, but nobody explains how to do it?? is it just on the treadmill, 3 minutes super quick, 2 mins walking repeat ?
    Ok do you have a running track? If not use map my run to measure out 400m either in a park, seafront or somewhere quiet. Or if you local street is 200m use that twice.

The Ultimate 400m Killer Workout:

Your aim is to run 400m x8 in 1:30
    You get 1 min rest in between

The first time you do this you will probably want to die. I've been doing this and it's awesome. You will run an equivalent of 2 miles but never run over 400m in one go.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Cardio is something that should be done by everyone on the planet, at least once a day. Your heart's a muscle too! Extremely important to keep it healthy.

Of course, the trick is doing cardio that positively affects your weight training, rather than negatively affects it. For skinnies like me in a bulk, my daily cardio is usually a brisk walk in the morning; for overweight people looking to lose some fat, cardio should be more intensive, like running, rowing machine, etc.

To answer the OP's question, whether that cardio would be OK depends on his goals and body type.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.