fareeda234
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
[deleted]
Last edited by fareeda234; 4 weeks ago
samiii_00
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
both super competitive but I feel as tho med is SLIGHTLY more accessible than dentistry
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Will it change the career you want to actually do for the rest of your life, though? They’re not the same thing.
fareeda234
Rep:
(Original post by becausethenight)
Will it change the career you want to actually do for the rest of your life, though? They’re not the same thing.
Ik they aren’t the same thing, I’m interested in the medical field though, I always rlly wanted to do dentistry I don’t want to demotivate myself but looking for backup options incase I don’t have a chance bc I need to be realistic
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Statistically I think dentistry is more competitive however as above, they are very different fields and they will be looking for awareness of and importantly, dedication to the profession (as both are long term careers that also require a fair bit of self sacrifice and they need to know you aren't just doing it for the wrong reasons that will lead you to burnout within a few years). So you really need to make a decision and focus on making yourself as strong an applicant as you can for that area, instead of trying to pursue both by half-measures.
bea_murray0
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by fareeda234)
Ik they aren’t the same thing, I’m interested in the medical field though, I always rlly wanted to do dentistry I don’t want to demotivate myself but looking for backup options incase I don’t have a chance bc I need to be realistic
Medicine is not a good backup option. It's extremely competitive and it's not worth it if it's not your first choice of career. I'm not sure exactly how competitive dentistry was this year or whether it's more/less competitive, but this cycle I have seen amazing applicants with 4 med school rejections, so as far as a backup plan goes, it's not very realistic. If you want to do dentistry but you're unsuccessful, the best plan B is to take a gap year and reapply. same applies if you decide you'd rather do medicine at any point, go for medicine and again, the best plan B is a gap year and reapply.
fareeda234
Rep:
(Original post by bea_murray0)
Medicine is not a good backup option. It's extremely competitive and it's not worth it if it's not your first choice of career. I'm not sure exactly how competitive dentistry was this year or whether it's more/less competitive, but this cycle I have seen amazing applicants with 4 med school rejections, so as far as a backup plan goes, it's not very realistic. If you want to do dentistry but you're unsuccessful, the best plan B is to take a gap year and reapply. same applies if you decide you'd rather do medicine at any point, go for medicine and again, the best plan B is a gap year and reapply.
Fr? I was thinking i didn’t end up getting the right a level grades for dentistry then I could apply for medicine instead of dentistry
bea_murray0
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Fr? I was thinking i didn’t end up getting the right a level grades for dentistry then I could apply for medicine instead of dentistry
Most med schools require AAA, same as dental schools (unless you're contextual)
Iwaizumi_
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Medicine requires AAA or in some med skls A*AA.
As far as I'm aware, it's the same for dentistry right? Mesopotamian.
Like others have pointed out, medicine is not a backup option. I know people with multiple A*s who received 4 rejections. I think your best bet is to research and make an informed decision
Last edited by Agashii_; 1 month ago
becausethenight
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
The thing is that they’re both insanely competitive - even though statistically medicine is a bit less so than dentistry, we’re still talking 10 applications per place sort of thing. It doesn’t mean the A level requirements are lower either as stated.

There are a lot of allied health professions you can look into, and I’d agree that it’s important to be realistic that not everyone will be successful, but it’s not realistic to use medicine as a backup for dentistry. Most medical schools won’t be happy to be used as a 5th choice anyway, and likely if what you really want to do is dentistry medicine isn’t the best ‘backup choice’ from a career satisfaction POV either (much less focus on manual dexterity, for example)
fareeda234
Rep:
(Original post by bea_murray0)
Most med schools require AAA, same as dental schools (unless you're contextual)
Yh true, but I’m just wondering which would be my best bet to apply for, either medicine or dentistry bc if I apple to one and don’t get accepted my parents won’t let me take a gap year, so it’s either applying to medicine/dentistry and getting in, or not getting in and being forced to do something I don’t want to do bc gap year is not an option
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
The competition rate difference doesn't change entry requirements though, which as noted are similar. What this effectively means is applicants aren't competing on the basis of grades - which is a necessary but not sufficient criteria for admission - so much as everything else, like their reflecting on work experience, UCAT/BMAT/etc scores, other interview performance, personal statement (if scored), etc, etc.

While grades and maybe UCAT or BMAT might be shared requirements for some medical and dental schools, the other things will all be different and having great reflections on dental work experience is probably not going to be helpful for a medicine application and vice versa.

At the end of the day though if you miss the grades for dentistry, in all likelihood you won't have the grades for medicine either, necessitating you still take a year out and retake if needed (which you'd probably need to do to "switch" to applying to medicine anyway, to get relevant work experience).
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 month ago
fareeda234
Rep:
The thing is that they’re both insanely competitive - even though statistically medicine is a bit less so than dentistry, we’re still talking 10 applications per place sort of thing. It doesn’t mean the A level requirements are lower either as stated.

There are a lot of allied health professions you can look into, and I’d agree that it’s important to be realistic that not everyone will be successful, but it’s not realistic to use medicine as a backup for dentistry. Most medical schools won’t be happy to be used as a 5th choice anyway, and likely if what you really want to do is dentistry medicine isn’t the best ‘backup choice’ from a career satisfaction POV either (much less focus on manual dexterity, for example)
Which do u think is easier to get into based on competitiveness, I don’t want to give up my dream bc of fear of being rejected, if everyone did that then no one would get anywhere 😅 and I’m not really interested in other medical professions
fareeda234
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
The competition rate difference doesn't change entry requirements though, which as noted are similar. What this effectively means is applicants aren't competing on the basis of grades - which is a necessary but not sufficient criteria for admission - so much as everything else, like their reflecting on work experience, UCAT/BMAT/etc scores, other interview performance, personal statement (if scored), etc, etc.

While grades and maybe UCAT or BMAT might be shared requirements for some medical and dental schools, the other things will all be different and having great reflections on dental work experience is probably not going to be helpful for a medicine application and vice versa.

At the end of the day though if you miss the grades for dentistry, in all likelihood you won't have the grades for medicine either, necessitating you still take a year out and retake if needed (which you'd probably need to do to "switch" to applying to medicine anyway, to get relevant work experience).
Ok thanks, I’m going to try my hardest to get them grades
becausethenight
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Which do u think is easier to get into based on competitiveness, I don’t want to give up my dream bc of fear of being rejected, if everyone did that then no one would get anywhere 😅 and I’m not really interested in other medical professions
Why are you interested in both medicine and dentistry? Have you done work experience in both fields? Could you make a pros and cons list of each career?

You can go look at the UCAS data (spoiler: medicine is very slightly less competitive) but these are both very competitive degrees that people regularly take multiple gap years to successfully apply to. Statistically, it’s likely you would be rejected from either of them, so you should go into it because you really want to do this career and are certain that it will be worth it

Given how different med and dent are, it seems like you might not really know what you want to do if competitiveness is the only criteria you’re considering right now?
fareeda234
Rep:
Why are you interested in both medicine and dentistry? Have you done work experience in both fields? Could you make a pros and cons list of each career?

You can go look at the UCAS data (spoiler: medicine is very slightly less competitive) but these are both very competitive degrees that people regularly take multiple gap years to successfully apply to. Statistically, it’s likely you would be rejected from either of them, so you should go into it because you really want to do this career and are certain that it will be worth it

Given how different med and dent are, it seems like you might not really know what you want to do if competitiveness is the only criteria you’re considering right now?
Well I’m starting year 12 again in September so I haven’t really looked much into medicine yet
Last edited by fareeda234; 1 month ago
becausethenight
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Well I’m starting year 12 again in September so I haven’t really looked much into medicine yet
That makes sense - I’d do your research now (as you are doing) so that you’re in a good place to organise volunteering and work experience for this summer and Y12.

I’d focus on if this is a career you want to do and the reality of the application process (eg, if you have 6s in core GCSEs and feel AAA at A level is realistic).
fareeda234
Rep:
That makes sense - I’d do your research now (as you are doing) so that you’re in a good place to organise volunteering and work experience for this summer and Y12.

I’d focus on if this is a career you want to do and the reality of the application process (eg, if you have 6s in core GCSEs and feel AAA at A level is realistic).
Yep most my grades at gcse is a 6s and 3 5s but I’m retaking my gcse also idk how possible it is but I’m going to push myself to do the best, I think volunteering and research will be great to help me decide, also does work experience abroad in hospitals help?
Honey57
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Ah you won’t be able to pick both med and dentistry because your personal statement has to be tailored to one of the subjects. Say you have a dentistry ps, and you apply for medicine, they won’t accept you because your application is specifically for dentistry.
becausethenight
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yep most my grades at gcse is a 6s and 3 5s but I’m retaking my gcse also idk how possible it is but I’m going to push myself to do the best, I think volunteering and research will be great to help me decide, also does work experience abroad in hospitals help?
What subjects are you retaking? Mesopotamian. will know more about dentistry but it is worth being aware that your GCSEs will be a limiting factor in med school applications, so you’d need to apply strategically and do well on admissions tests. You can see how medical schools used GCSEs in 2021 here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/res...e-requirements

I’d focus on work experience in U.K. hospitals as the NHS system is quite unique (especially for dentistry). It can be difficult to organise so worth trying to organise it now.
Last edited by becausethenight; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (51)
26.02%
As I expected (65)
33.16%
Harder (72)
36.73%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.08%

Watched Threads