Feeling bad about masters dissertation

Watch this thread
MintChocChip123
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have just submitted my MSc dissertation and I feel pretty bad about it. Not proud or excited like I should be. My supervisor has given me feedback to improve it all the way through and she said I was ready to submit once I had made adjustments according to her final comments. I'm just not convinced its any good and I feel like I ran out of time. All my confidence in it has gone and now I'm just praying I scrape enough to pass with 50%. Has anyone else felt this way? Does anyone have any advice while I wait for results day?
Thank you all.
Noble.x
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Only a narcissist will feel overly confident over a dissertation they took months to complete. Masters are honestly so tough so well done to you for going through with it. While you wait, focus on everything you ever wanted to do. No point worrying about something already done. Idek you but I’m so proud of you!!!
Keele Postgraduate
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MintChocChip123)
I have just submitted my MSc dissertation and I feel pretty bad about it. Not proud or excited like I should be. My supervisor has given me feedback to improve it all the way through and she said I was ready to submit once I had made adjustments according to her final comments. I'm just not convinced its any good and I feel like I ran out of time. All my confidence in it has gone and now I'm just praying I scrape enough to pass with 50%. Has anyone else felt this way? Does anyone have any advice while I wait for results day?
Thank you all.
Hi MintChocChip123,

As Noble.x has said, it is totally natural to feel this way. You've been working on your dissertation for a long time now and it's easy to lose focus and doubt yourself and the quality of your work.

When working on a long project, it's also very common to feel that you needed just a little longer to polish it and make it 'perfect' and it's important to remember that, in research (as in life), 'perfect' doesn't exist. When I look back at my MA dissertation, I can definitely see areas ripe for improvement. But that doesn't mean I'm any less proud of the work that went into my MA - it provided the foundation for the work I'm doing now. Will you look back on your MSc one day and think it could have been better? Probably. Does that mean it wasn't a good submission at the time? Absolutely not!

If your supervisor has said that your dissertation is ready to submit then you can be assured that they feel it is of an appropriate standard. That said, if you are really worried, I think it's worth you having a chat with them and talking about how you feel about the work. If nothing else, a problem shared is a problem halved and they can give you reassurance about their feelings for your project.

If you don't feel comfortable chatting to them, is there a fellow student who could offer a friendly ear? Or a member of the student services team? When I have crises of confidence about my PhD, I've learnt to share these with my supervisory team and fellow students: sometimes someone else has to confidence in your project for you for a week or two, plus it can be reassuring to know that you're not the only one who feels this way about their work.

As for what to do in the meantime, do you have another project you could be getting on with to take your mind off waiting for your results? It doesn't have to be academic (although it could be): doing a craft activity, throwing yourself into a sport, or finally tackling your reading/game pile can be equally good distractions!

Hope that helps

Amy Louise
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads