RS essay help! OCR A level

Watch this thread
alevelstudent676
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
We cannot universalise our ethical judgements [40]

I don’t know what to write about or where to start, my teacher said we need to evaluate between kantian ethics/natural law and situation ethics.
Kamran Umar
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by alevelstudent676)
We cannot universalise our ethical judgements [40]

I don’t know what to write about or where to start, my teacher said we need to evaluate between kantian ethics/natural law and situation ethics.
Just a note- if you're doing OCR A level RS, and you're exams are in June this year, you won't be asked this question (Q's on ethical theories like this shouldn't be asked, it'd just be more general ones on Euth. and Sexual ethics- you can check the advance information for the topics you'll be assessed on).

Honestly it depends on how you normally write essays. I usually start with an intro which explains the key ideas of any ethical theories or scholars that I'll bring into the essay (this does require some editing when I actually write the essay though, as I always think of a new scholar to add in like halfway through). Then it'll be a critique paragraph - it doesn't really matter if you're arguing for/against the statement, but I always try to conclude one paragraph for the thesis that I'm arguing for. For this question, I'd probably agree with the statement as it's the easiest thing to do. For the 1st paragraph, I'd use kantian ethics, explain it and then talk about why you'd agree with the statement, giving critiques but also supporting it throughout. Conclude with the statement. With the 2nd paragraph, you'd want to say that another ethical theory is more appropriate for making ethical judgements (you can choose which one, it doesn't necessarily have to be Util.). Again, support and critique the theory throughout, concluding that Util is better than Kantain ethics at making ethical decisions. Then conclude, quickly summarising why Util is better than Kantian ethics. Hope this helps!
alevelstudent676
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Kamran Umar)
Just a note- if you're doing OCR A level RS, and you're exams are in June this year, you won't be asked this question (Q's on ethical theories like this shouldn't be asked, it'd just be more general ones on Euth. and Sexual ethics- you can check the advance information for the topics you'll be assessed on).

Honestly it depends on how you normally write essays. I usually start with an intro which explains the key ideas of any ethical theories or scholars that I'll bring into the essay (this does require some editing when I actually write the essay though, as I always think of a new scholar to add in like halfway through). Then it'll be a critique paragraph - it doesn't really matter if you're arguing for/against the statement, but I always try to conclude one paragraph for the thesis that I'm arguing for. For this question, I'd probably agree with the statement as it's the easiest thing to do. For the 1st paragraph, I'd use kantian ethics, explain it and then talk about why you'd agree with the statement, giving critiques but also supporting it throughout. Conclude with the statement. With the 2nd paragraph, you'd want to say that another ethical theory is more appropriate for making ethical judgements (you can choose which one, it doesn't necessarily have to be Util.). Again, support and critique the theory throughout, concluding that Util is better than Kantain ethics at making ethical decisions. Then conclude, quickly summarising why Util is better than Kantian ethics. Hope this helps!
thank you so much!! i’m in year 12, so we’ve only covered natural law, kantian ethics, situation ethics and euthanasia for now : )
Kamran Umar
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
That's fine, don't worry about it. Have fun with year 13, you learn about lots of new stuff. I found the ethics quite interesting.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.92%
As I expected (24)
30.77%
Harder (29)
37.18%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.13%

Watched Threads