Do I have the relevant qualifications to *potentially* get into Oxford for medicine.

Watch this thread
quagmiretoilet
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey, everyone. I'm going to just list my grades and such so you guys can expound upon them.

GCSE(s): 8A*1A
A-levels: Predicted 4A*
I also currently work in my local general hospital and frequently attend seminars for work experience and volunteering and such. Presuming that both the interview and BMAT goes well, do I have a chance of being offered a place on the Medicine in course in Oxford. Could people please not just quote the Oxford statistics mentioned literally everywhere - from what I have personally experienced they are not that reliable when it comes to working out if you are likely to get an interview/offered a place.

Thanks yall
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by quagmiretoilet)
Hey, everyone. I'm going to just list my grades and such so you guys can expound upon them.

I also currently work in my local general hospital and frequently attend seminars for work experience and volunteering and such. Presuming that both the interview and BMAT goes well, do I have a chance of being offered a place on the Medicine in course in Oxford. Could people please not just quote the Oxford statistics mentioned literally everywhere - from what I have personally experienced they are not that reliable when it comes to working out if you are likely to get an interview/offered a place.

Thanks yall
Nope, not a chance - obviously.
quagmiretoilet
Rep:
(Original post by Reality Check)
Nope, not a chance - obviously.
Would you care to explain?
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Isn't it obvious? You're offering 8A* at GCSE and 4A* at A level and you're asking if it's at all possible if you might possibly have a chance at Oxford for medicine?

smh.
quagmiretoilet
Rep:
Isn't it obvious? You're offering 8A* at GCSE and 4A* at A level and you're asking if it's at all possible if you might possibly have a chance at Oxford for medicine?

smh.
1. You do not have to act so offended.
2. I am being genuine in my question, someone in my Sixth Form was accepted into Oxford for medicine with only 7A* but with a great BMAT and interview. I don't see how I'm not offering something that could potentially be accepted...
dahlia06
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
dw i think reality check is being sarcastic- go for it and apply and let us know how u get on! good luck
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dahlia06)
dw i think reality check is being sarcastic- go for it and apply and let us know how u get on! good luck
You reckon...?

It's the idea that 8A* and 4A* at A level 'might not be enough'. What do people think Oxford might be looking for - the Holy Grail?
Last edited by Reality Check; 1 month ago
quagmiretoilet
Rep:
You reckon...?
Good lord, I apologise. I struggle to read social situations at the best of times.

Thanks for both of your replies, I'll try my best.
dahlia06
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You reckon...?
the "smh." gave it away, it is always the full stop.
wdym???? u need 5 a*s to go into oxford? dont be so silly! plus need at least 10 years of work experience-gosh!
Last edited by dahlia06; 1 month ago
khantr9
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Thanks yall
IDK why you are even asking, you have the perfect grades and good experience
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
damn...
Good lord, I apologise. I struggle to read social situations at the best of times.

Thanks for both of your replies, I'll try my best.
No problem - you should be a strong candidate, ceteris paribus
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Fundamentally though, you have fewer GCSEs at A* than the average, and a lower proportion of A* grades than average as well. Which means you're already below average in one of the only two factors they consider in even deciding to give you an interview - and the second factor is the BMAT which is a complete wildcard as you won't know what you get in that until after you apply.

Therefore tactically speaking it would be inadvisable to apply to Oxford as there is a very strong chance you won't even get an interview. You would be better off picking another medical school you have a stronger chance of getting an interview from in the first place. Medicine is all about applying tactically to take advantage of your strengths.

Also bear in mind it does not matter where you study medicine when it comes to foundation post placement or specialty recruitment once you finish the medical degree. Literally, the NHS does not consider your medical school at all in those things and in fact that data is specifically blinded to recruiters (or in the case of foundation placement, not part of the algorithm that does it), so it can't make a difference.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 month ago
michelle282
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
My cousin with higher grades (private school scholarship candidate) got rejected from Oxford Medicine, then went to Imperial College and is a hospital consultant now. You should try UCL or Imperial also for medicine.
z-u-l-u
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
just don't apply to kings
quagmiretoilet
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Fundamentally though, you have fewer GCSEs at A* than the average, and a lower proportion of A* grades than average as well. Which means you're already below average in one of the only two factors they consider in even deciding to give you an interview - and the second factor is the BMAT which is a complete wildcard as you won't know what you get in that until after you apply.

Therefore tactically speaking it would be inadvisable to apply to Oxford as there is a very strong chance you won't even get an interview. You would be better off picking another medical school you have a stronger chance of getting an interview from in the first place. Medicine is all about applying tactically to take advantage of your strengths.

Also bear in mind it does not matter where you study medicine when it comes to foundation post placement or specialty recruitment once you finish the medical degree. Literally, the NHS does not consider your medical school at all in those things and in fact that data is specifically blinded to recruiters (or in the case of foundation placement, not part of the algorithm that does it), so it can't make a difference.
True, true. Though as I echoed earlier a lot of those statistics are wholly unrealistic, the feeling that I get is that if you have a strong UCAS application/personal statement and are holistically a strong candidate in terms of experience and academics you should stand a good stead. I've known quite a few people get into Medicine in Oxford with far less than is described.
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
wdym???? u need 5 a*s to go into oxford? dont be so silly! plus need at least 10 years of work experience-gosh!
And don't forget the fact that your parents, grandparents and second-cousin twice removed needs to have gone to the Oxford college to which you are applying, and have all been medics before you even stand a chance.

That's assuming you know what the funny handshake is at interview, and what you should do with the rugby ball when they throw it at you when you enter the interview room.
quagmiretoilet
Rep:
I mean, I have a 65% scholarship to my local private school, I've submitted several accredited essays such as the ISA essay competition and an international competitive essay competition in which I placed in the top 50. (I won some cash lmao). I don't know, it's been a dream of mine for a while and it's finally time to start considering my options.
dahlia06
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
No problem - you should be a strong candidate, ceteris paribus
using latin to prove that you are oxford material? watch out OP, this one is coming for your place
quagmiretoilet
Rep:
using latin to prove that you are oxford material? watch out OP, this one is coming for your place
haha, i actually had to study latin for a few years
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
:laugh: Having been at Cambridge, I would probably spontaneously combust were I to even enter Oxfordshire.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (51)
26.15%
As I expected (64)
32.82%
Harder (72)
36.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.1%

Watched Threads