Food poisoning?

Watch this thread
MmeDeBretagne
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, basically I think I may have food poisoning. This story may sound very stupid to people but let me explain.

I'm a student on a very tight budget. I ordered pizza yesterday evening. It had pepperoni, chicken, and bacon on it. I only ate half and basically left it out, unable to refrigerate it. I ate the rest around 20 hours later because I can't afford to waste food and was pretty hungry.

About 5/6 hours passed and I started to get a stomach ache. Now I just went to the bathroom to brush my teeth and I could barely stand up straight. I was hunching over because the pain was so bad. Now I'm lay in bed. I don't know what to do.

Please don't call me an idiot, this will be a lesson learned and I didn't have much choice in eating anything else. I need advice.
Feastful
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MmeDeBretagne)
Hi, basically I think I may have food poisoning. This story may sound very stupid to people but let me explain.

I'm a student on a very tight budget. I ordered pizza yesterday evening. It had pepperoni, chicken, and bacon on it. I only ate half and basically left it out, unable to refrigerate it. I ate the rest around 20 hours later because I can't afford to waste food and was pretty hungry.

About 5/6 hours passed and I started to get a stomach ache. Now I just went to the bathroom to brush my teeth and I could barely stand up straight. I was hunching over because the pain was so bad. Now I'm lay in bed. I don't know what to do.

Please don't call me an idiot, this will be a lesson learned and I didn't have much choice in eating anything else. I need advice.
Yeah it sounds like you have food poisoning.

Food poisoning can be infectious, so make sure you practice proper hygiene.

Very important:

1. REHYDRATE! Its extremely important to do when you have food poisoning.

Drink plenty of fluids to replace the ones you lost an more. Avoid stuff with caffiene in it (tea, coffee, coke cola, chocolate).

You can make a basic rehydration solution by mixing 6 teaspoons of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a liter of water https://www.pricerunner.com/guide/ho...ation-solution .

Try having a variety of things with high fluid content, such as soups (like chicken soup or pea & ham soup) and orange squash.

2. Electrolytes

When you sweat a lot or suffer from diarrhoea, you will lose lots of electrolytes. Eat or drink things high in electrolytes like sports drinks or coconut water https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...s#4.-Smoothies

3. If you are suffering from a lot of diarrhoea, take some diarrhoea relief medicine like this: https://ayp.healthcare/30-loperamide...QaAoY3EALw_wcB

4. It takes about a 1-2 weeks to get over food poisoning, although you make feel quite lacking in energy for a few weeks afterwards. Be prepared to feel unwell for a while and let your tutors, family and GP know about your situation.

5. Don't hesitate to contact your GP (doctor), depending on what you've been infected with you might require antibiotics to get over the food poisoning and in bad cases of food poisoning, you might need to go to hospital.

6. Rest! You are going to need to rest a lot to get over food poisoning. DO NOT PUSH YOURSELF or you will make yourself worse.

7. Avoid eating any heavy meals or strong flavoured foods (like curry) for a while, focus on rehydration. Eating plain toast is good as it can help settle the stomach.
MmeDeBretagne
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Feastful)
Yeah it sounds like you have food poisoning.

Food poisoning can be infectious, so make sure you practice proper hygiene.

Very important:

1. REHYDRATE! Its extremely important to do when you have food poisoning.

Drink plenty of fluids to replace the ones you lost an more. Avoid stuff with caffiene in it (tea, coffee, coke cola, chocolate).

You can make a basic rehydration solution by mixing 6 teaspoons of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a liter of water https://www.pricerunner.com/guide/ho...ation-solution .

Try having a variety of things with high fluid content, such as soups (like chicken soup or pea & ham soup) and orange squash.

2. Electrolytes

When you sweat a lot or suffer from diarrhoea, you will lose lots of electrolytes. Eat or drink things high in electrolytes like sports drinks or coconut water https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...s#4.-Smoothies

3. If you are suffering from a lot of diarrhoea, take some diarrhoea relief medicine like this: https://ayp.healthcare/30-loperamide...QaAoY3EALw_wcB

4. It takes about a 1-2 weeks to get over food poisoning, although you make feel quite lacking in energy for a few weeks afterwards. Be prepared to feel unwell for a while and let your tutors, family and GP know about your situation.

5. Don't hesitate to contact your GP (doctor), depending on what you've been infected with you might require antibiotics to get over the food poisoning and in bad cases of food poisoning, you might need to go to hospital.

6. Rest! You are going to need to rest a lot to get over food poisoning. DO NOT PUSH YOURSELF or you will make yourself worse.

7. Avoid eating any heavy meals or strong flavoured foods (like curry) for a while, focus on rehydration. Eating plain toast is good as it can help settle the stomach.
Thanks a lot. Fortunately I'm not experiencing anything other than a tender stomach, it's less painful when I'm laying down.

I'll follow that advice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (13)
26%
As I expected (14)
28%
Harder (20)
40%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
6%

Watched Threads