Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Let's take a looksie at the papers that came up between 2005-2007

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gcse/eng_lit_a_assess.php

What do you reckon will come up in 2009?

ReputationRep:
    something on simon, maybe? since according to that he hasn't come up since 2005, and even then the question on him included ralph. simon as a character is central to the novel. this is a bit of a useless question, though, because:

1. we don't know what came up on the 2008 paper
    2. there's no way of telling what will come up. at all. you'll just have to revise everything and hope for the best. lord of the flies is pretty easy to analyse anyway, all the symbolism in it is really obvious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow drops)
    something on simon, maybe? since according to that he hasn't come up since 2005, and even then the question on him included ralph. simon as a character is central to the novel. this is a bit of a useless question, though, because:

1. we don't know what came up on the 2008 paper
    2. there's no way of telling what will come up. at all. you'll just have to revise everything and hope for the best. lord of the flies is pretty easy to analyse anyway, all the symbolism in it is really obvious.
    i did lotf this year and my essay was on simon, so i wouldn't count on it being about him.

the best thing to do is make cards about all the characters with key quotes and descriptive words and memorise them all with a basic essay outline that you can fit around them.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Simon was on the 2008 paper :yes:

As was something about how the beginning of the novel prepared us for the rest.

ReputationRep:
    ahhhh okay, haha. i'm really not sure OP. the only thing i can think of off the top of my head is a piggy question or something on the differences between jack and ralph's leadership. i haven't read lord of the flies for a year or so. as i said, for a GCSE novel, you can't really get much easier; the symbolism really is glaringly obvious.

edit: i'm useless today :rofl: the leadership thing is on the 2006 paper you linked. i'm going to go with piggy or maybe something about how the conch presents the boys' deterioration, but as i've said a couple of times, you can't predict this sort of thing. just revise.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    but there's too much of it
    like really =S
    but it's pretty certain that a question will be on characters each year.... so the best way to do it is to summarise each character with main pts and quotes right?

i really want a Simon question and im envious of those who sat english lit in 2008. he's the easiest to talk about

ReputationRep:
    it's all easy, honestly. just know about the characters and their relationships, the symbolism used e.g. piggy's glasses, the conch etc, how the boys deteriorate (choir - hunters - tribe - savages), and how what's happening on the island reflects what was happening at the time. if you use the word 'microcosm' to describe this, the examiner will get very excited.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    LOL yeah i know that
    like the island is a microcosm of what's happening in the adult world.

so the symbolism of this is that everyone is capable of savagery even the young boys who are meant to be innocent etc...

Do you reckon if you summarise the whole book into these sub-headings:

- The Beast
    - Jack
    - Simon
    - Piggy
    - Ralph

then carefully summarise the main events in each chapter i.e.

chapter one:

- the choir
    - the conch
    - how ralph and simon are described
    - how the island is described
    - the piglet
    - the candlebuds

you'd be able to do well in the exam.
    cos like im so confuzed.
    theres so much of it
    i dont know what to revise and what not to
    cos our english teacher expects us to know about every little detail and i doubt theyre gonna go into all the nooks and crannys of the story in the exam are they o.o

ReputationRep:
    yeah, that sounds good, but honestly, by the end of year 11, you'll know every little detail in such depth that you will literally be sick of the sight of it all. i really love lord of the flies but by the time it came to my exam i thought i never wanted to look at it again afterwards. in short, don't worry, you have the best part of a year left to get to know the novel. by what you've posted in this thread it seems like you have the right idea.

poor piggy.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Lol :P
    It's like 45 minutes though
    I mean if it was 1hour and 30 minutes or something i'd be all dandy
    but you'd hav to write continuously during that exam in order to get all ur ideas across

ReputationRep:
    aww, I loved this book at gcse, I should go about buying it. Irrelevant I know, sorry! :o:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    yeah, that sounds good, but honestly, by the end of year 11, you'll know every little detail in such depth that you will literally be sick of the sight of it all. i really love lord of the flies but by the time it came to my exam i thought i never wanted to look at it again afterwards. in short, don't worry, you have the best part of a year left to get to know the novel. by what you've posted in this thread it seems like you have the right idea.

poor piggy.

fankx x
    btw our mocks are coming up soon LOL
    fun(!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coke Or Pepsi)
    Lol :P
    It's like 45 minutes though
    I mean if it was 1hour and 30 minutes or something i'd be all dandy
    but you'd hav to write continuously during that exam in order to get all ur ideas across
    well, you don't have to write about everything. your exam question will be on a specific aspect of the novel, like a question about the beast, so rather than going off-topic and talking about sam & eric or something you'll focus on the beast and its significance to the novel as a whole. you'll do a lot of exam practice nearer the time.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by foundintransmission)
    aww, I loved this book at gcse, I should go about buying it. Irrelevant I know, sorry! :o:

The book is good
    but when you analyse it etc.
    you get pretty sick of it
    purely because its all about the literal and symbolic meaning
    quite frankly u go BLERGH screw it bring on the yams >.> if u get what i mean
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    well, you don't have to write about everything. your exam question will be on a specific aspect of the novel, like a question about the beast, so rather than going off-topic and talking about sam & eric or something you'll focus on the beast and its significance to the novel as a whole. you'll do a lot of exam practice nearer the time.

On that note, Sam n Eric, are they a main symbol?

I'd hate to get 2 questions like "Why is the opening of the story good" and then "How does Golding present Sam and Eric"

I'd be like LOL no ty

ReputationRep:
    no, i don't think sam and eric are too important. i suppose their main purpose is to give a bit more support to ralph, and to emphasise how the boys gradually got worse and worse, because they're always referred to as 'samneric,' and towards the end of the novel they start disagreeing, so it helps to show that the island brought out the worst in even the closest relationships. doesn't one of them find the dead parachutist as well? or is it both?

i don't think you'd ever get a question specifically on sam and eric, to be honest.

this thread is making me want to read lord of the flies again.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    -nods-
    They both see it And the fact that they "finish of eachother's sentences" shows their close bond, but towards the end they become almost opposites and are no longer compatible.. it kind of links to the lord of the flies also, because i think the actual sow's head is a microcosm of island life, the head being the island the flies being the boys, and how the island is being damaged by the boys i.e. the "scar" caused by the plane crash. So it's almost as if it's not the Island itself that is damaging the boys, but the boys themselves.

Idk if that makes sense, but i read into things a lot which is bad cos i come up with random rubbish...

But yeah the main questions are really
    jack, simon, piggy, ralph, the beast

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coke Or Pepsi)
    The book is good
    but when you analyse it etc.
    you get pretty sick of it
    purely because its all about the literal and symbolic meaning
    quite frankly u go BLERGH screw it bring on the yams >.> if u get what i mean
    I didn't when I studied it, but that's just me then? I mean, I wasn't worried about the exam or anything, not that I'm a wizz at it, but if I had to resit an exam again, I'd choose that one. Mind you, I did it in year 10 instead of 11, so maybe that's why?

ReputationRep:
    Last year was Piggy, I think I did that question... And the year before it was Simon. So I doubt it'll be either of them. So it's Ralph or Jack IMO. I quite liked lord of the flies, lots to analyse and I thought it was very, very easy to do. Good luck.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Ralph or Jack -.- Fabulous. They're both so hard to analyse; All you can say for Ralph is he's not what he seems i.e. halo effect, that evil overcomes good because he joins in on the attack on robert etc. and Jack.. Jack's analysis is repetitive wow he goes into a savage state of mind big deal ¬.¬ gosh -sighs-

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.