Landlord crisis

Watch this thread
Sopyjaja
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My landlord is telling me to leave the room I’m renting for no reason, I pay my rent on time, my contract is for a year, I’ve never damaged anything in the property, I even think I’m getting scammed by them, I’m being made to pay for using the washing machine even though it’s in my contract, now it’s a week till the end of the month and I’m being threatened to leave. Apparently, he made a mistake and gave me a 600pounds room for 400 and the contract is for a year and I don’t want to leave but he’s been looking for every reason to kick me out , I’ve not even been in the room for 6 months, funny enough
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Read the contract carefully. Look for clauses which might allow him to terminate the contract early. Many tenancy agreements include the option to terminate it at six months without reason, for example.

If he has no contractual right to remove you, then he's acting illegally.

Does the fact that you mention that you're renting a room, and that he charges you to use the washing machine, mean that you're in a room within the house in which he lives? If so, that'd make things very tricky, I'd imagine.

I'd advise contacting https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ - or someone like that - and ask for their help. Tenants have many rights these days, to protect them from unscrupulous landlords.
Blacklabgirl
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sopyjaja)
My landlord is telling me to leave the room I’m renting for no reason, I pay my rent on time, my contract is for a year, I’ve never damaged anything in the property, I even think I’m getting scammed by them, I’m being made to pay for using the washing machine even though it’s in my contract, now it’s a week till the end of the month and I’m being threatened to leave. Apparently, he made a mistake and gave me a 600pounds room for 400 and the contract is for a year and I don’t want to leave but he’s been looking for every reason to kick me out , I’ve not even been in the room for 6 months, funny enough
Poor you - sounds like not a very nice landlord! I believe he is stuck with the rent in the contract. If your landlord wanted to get you out he would need to follow the legal process. It is not easy for landlords to get tenants out. If I were you I would start by going to Citizens Advice Bureau to see if you can get some free legal assistance on this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (39)
32.23%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (55)
45.45%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (26)
21.49%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.83%

Watched Threads