Universities that outperform the Russel Group?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm a sucker for these discussions

The obvious:
St. Andrews
Bath
Lancaster

The 'better than the lower end of RGs':
Sussex(?)
Aberdeen
Loughborough(?)
Reading

"The RG branding is nothing but an indication of research intensity"
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
The Russell Group is just a branding exercise, albeit a very successful one. It contains a range of universities, mostly excellent or good, with some plain average (although none that I'd categorise as weak). Some excellent universities are not members, as you've said. Generally speaking, people should be making university choices without reference to it.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm a sucker for these discussions

The obvious:
St. Andrews
Bath
Lancaster

The 'better than the lower end of RGs':
Sussex(?)
Aberdeen
Loughborough(?)
Reading

"The RG branding is nothing but an indication of research intensity"
Can literally no-one on TSR who is obsessing about this well-worn, dull topic spell 'Russell Group'? It's not even as if it's a particularly 'hard' spelling.
Ghostlady
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Lancaster places over 8 RG unis when it comes to research quality :
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/news/new...aster-research

They just been awarded £2.9million for particle physics
Last edited by Ghostlady; 1 month ago
turbobaithead
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Made a thread about The top 25 universities that consistently appear in the top 25 in the last 11 years using strictly THE's WUR.

Of the Non-RG schools that appear the most:

-Sussex
-Aberdeen
-St Andrews
-RHUL.

All are Pre-1992s, with Aberdeen and St.Andrews both being Ancients.

There was also a meta ranking thread i saw around here which I think also listed Aberdeen, Sussex and St. Andrews in the top 20/25
using QS, THE, AWRU (World) and Guardian, Times, CUG (National)

At some point Sussex ranked consistently within top 70 globally before diving back to 150s. Of course, the Scottish Unis usually get boosted in one way or another because of their age.(?)
turbobaithead
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
So,

responding to the OP I would say Sussex, Bath, Lancaster, Aberdeen, Rhul even Reading and UEA probably won't set you back when matched up against online snobbery contests. Esp against the lower end of Russell Groups.

Bath ranks the least Globally when compared to Sussex, St Andrews, Lancaster, and Aberdeen. As I often preach in these threads I always teach to see both global and domestic rankings for maximum snobbery.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.58%
As I expected (24)
30.38%
Harder (29)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed