How to change tutor

Watch this thread
Frogs_legs_jeff
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello everyone, I have a tutor who is a bit of a cold fish when it comes to communication, I received some feedback on my assignment which was informative, and I was requested to change my writing style. When asking my tutor via email for support by requesting to book a telephone call with her to chat about how to change a writing habit and also the course, her email response was restrictive and did not pay attention to what I had asked. The response was that she could only talk about the course. in a online TMA tutorial, there was space to talk about how we prepare for the TMA and what we need to work on to improve our essays, I posed the question about my wiring style and joked that for my tutor it must be hell reading my essay. My tutor snapped back and asked if the feedback was not good to which I stated the feedback was fine but I feel I may suffer with undiagnosed dyslexia and was wanting some guidance. I felt as though my tutor was defensive, yet all I was asking for was support in my studies so I can achieve at my best. Another tutor provided me skills on the OU website and link for dyslexia which has been helpful. I am worried about talking to the OU and requesting a change of tutor who is willing to guide me when I am trying to up skill my writing and learning. Any advice?
TriplexA
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Frogs_legs_jeff)
Hello everyone, I have a tutor who is a bit of a cold fish when it comes to communication, I received some feedback on my assignment which was informative, and I was requested to change my writing style. When asking my tutor via email for support by requesting to book a telephone call with her to chat about how to change a writing habit and also the course, her email response was restrictive and did not pay attention to what I had asked. The response was that she could only talk about the course. in a online TMA tutorial, there was space to talk about how we prepare for the TMA and what we need to work on to improve our essays, I posed the question about my wiring style and joked that for my tutor it must be hell reading my essay. My tutor snapped back and asked if the feedback was not good to which I stated the feedback was fine but I feel I may suffer with undiagnosed dyslexia and was wanting some guidance. I felt as though my tutor was defensive, yet all I was asking for was support in my studies so I can achieve at my best. Another tutor provided me skills on the OU website and link for dyslexia which has been helpful. I am worried about talking to the OU and requesting a change of tutor who is willing to guide me when I am trying to up skill my writing and learning. Any advice?
Hi there.

PinkMobilePhone may be able to help

Best wishes.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
There have been a few people on my module this year who have been unhappy with the feedback from their tutor as well, but unfortunately they didn't get very far with trying to change tutors.

The only thing you can do is contact Student Support and explain the problem, and request a change of tutor, but be aware they may not grant your request.

I'd suggest you give as much evidence as possible and highlight how this situation may have a negative impact on your grades.

Good luck
Last edited by PinkMobilePhone; 1 month ago
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Frogs_legs_jeff)
Have you checked if you are eligible for the OU funding help towards getting a dyslexia diagnosis? you could then get study skills mentor and/or software to help with issues such as writing difficulties (OU tutors are a little limited on writing guidance since they aren't paid for individual support sessions without being approved for it so they don't all do an individual phone call etc and would just stick to short email responses ) .

I m dyslexic and my tutors have generally been good with OU but if SST would allow you to switch if you feel they aren't acting appropriately, there's no harm in seeing if that's possible.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

What is missing from the school curriculum?

Basic life skills (eg. cooking) (8)
29.63%
Financial skills (eg. taxes, budgeting) (12)
44.44%
First aid skills (2)
7.41%
Personal safety skills (0)
0%
Sign language (4)
14.81%
Expanded sexual health/relationships (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
3.7%

Watched Threads