Igcse/gcse and AS/A level question.

Watch this thread
MBN207
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello, I just wanted to know if I could for example do biology igcse/gcse at the very beginning of the next school year and then have time to do biology AS at the same year that I say the igcse/gcse exam. Also how many months of study at school should I take before doing biology AS or any AS for that matter.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
It depends on what else is going on in your life I suppose.

To do an I/GCSE takes 120 learning hours, and then you need revision hours on top.

An AS Level is 180 learning hours, and then revision hours on top.

So look at your life, are you studying other subjects? Do you have hobbies? Do you have a part time job?
Only you can answer whether or not you'll have enough time to do both in a year.
MBN207
Rep:
Thanks for the reply, are the 120/180 learning hours recommended or are they mandatory and you can’t sit the exam without taking that much time to learn at school. Also would I have to wait for my igcse/gcse results before I could start taking AS classes?
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MBN207)
Thanks for the reply, are the 120/180 learning hours recommended or are they mandatory and you can’t sit the exam without taking that much time to learn at school. Also would I have to wait for my igcse/gcse results before I could start taking AS classes?
No they're not mandatory, but they're a general guide as to how long it will take to learn the material. If you are in a school / college, that's how many hours of classes you can expect to have for each subject.

If you're taking AS as a private candidate, you do not need to do I/GCSEs first, however if you're wanting to study in school or college, they are unlikely to accept you for AS levels if you do not already have I/GCSEs.

In UK schools, GCSEs are taught over 2 years (ages 14-16), and then AS Levels are taught over 1 year (ages 16-17)
Last edited by PinkMobilePhone; 1 month ago
MBN207
Rep:
I get that but would I have to wait the 3 months for my igcse/gcse grades to be available (grades as in 1-9)
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MBN207)
I get that but would I have to wait the 3 months for my igcse/gcse grades to be available (grades as in 1-9)
Colleges give conditional offers of placements based on predicted grades.

But for actually starting the AS course, yes. GCSE results come out in August, and then you start college in September.

Private candidates do whatever they want though. However, saying that, it's still advisable to get GCSEs out of the way first, and then study three A Levels together at the same time.

Why are you wanting to take both an IGCSE and an A Level in the same year?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (39)
32.23%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (55)
45.45%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (26)
21.49%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.83%

Watched Threads