Shoes for Work Experience in Court

Watch this thread
rose.clm
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have a morning of work experience shadowing a lawyer, and we'll be in a sheriff court. I've realised I have no formal or semi-formal shoes really. The closest thing I've got are the classic doc marten boots but those would still be inappropriate. Where can I get cheap formal enough shoes? Thanks!
Gmaster1980
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rose.clm)
I have a morning of work experience shadowing a lawyer, and we'll be in a sheriff court. I've realised I have no formal or semi-formal shoes really. The closest thing I've got are the classic doc marten boots but those would still be inappropriate. Where can I get cheap formal enough shoes? Thanks!
Zara and h&m should have something usable if you're a woman.
Hilns
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Any second-hand type of app or website or charity shop was my go-to in the beginning. When we speak of financial investments in pursuing legal careers to which we have no guaranteed access, I personally think that goes beyond education fees and wherever you can save money, feel free to do so!

On a side note, I have personally attended multiple work exps with noticeably improper shoes (think blue tennis shoes) as I had sprained my ankle playing, well, tennis, and these were all I had where I was staying back then. If you don't have time/money to purchase formal shoes, I'd go with the darkest pair you own and start by apologising for wearing them immediately, saying you're aware this is improper, but that is all you were able to wear. In my own very personal experience, as long as you show awareness about professional standards of presentation, then no one cares what you are wearing in that moment. Plus, it would be wholly inappropriate to further question you on this. I have several friends who couldn't wear formal shoes due to disabilities for example. So, if money is that tight, my personal advice would be do not waste it on something you can simply apologise for.

Enjoy the experience!
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rose.clm)
Black DMs that are clean and perhaps with a bit of polish on them will be fine.
rose.clm
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Hilns)
Any second-hand type of app or website or charity shop was my go-to in the beginning. When we speak of financial investments in pursuing legal careers to which we have no guaranteed access, I personally think that goes beyond education fees and wherever you can save money, feel free to do so!

On a side note, I have personally attended multiple work exps with noticeably improper shoes (think blue tennis shoes) as I had sprained my ankle playing, well, tennis, and these were all I had where I was staying back then. If you don't have time/money to purchase formal shoes, I'd go with the darkest pair you own and start by apologising for wearing them immediately, saying you're aware this is improper, but that is all you were able to wear. In my own very personal experience, as long as you show awareness about professional standards of presentation, then no one cares what you are wearing in that moment. Plus, it would be wholly inappropriate to further question you on this. I have several friends who couldn't wear formal shoes due to disabilities for example. So, if money is that tight, my personal advice would be do not waste it on something you can simply apologise for.

Enjoy the experience!
Thank you so much! That's great advice, I really appreciate it!
The University of Law Students
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
If the Doc Martins are black, they will be fine under trousers!

Hope you enjoy the experience!

Nic
Student Ambassador at The University of Law
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

What is missing from the school curriculum?

Basic life skills (eg. cooking) (17)
27.42%
Financial skills (eg. taxes, budgeting) (31)
50%
First aid skills (3)
4.84%
Personal safety skills (1)
1.61%
Sign language (8)
12.9%
Expanded sexual health/relationships (1)
1.61%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.61%

Watched Threads