urgent english literature help!!!

Watch this thread
sophia_456
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I really like English literature and i want to do well. I've never put the act or scene which my quotes come from (i just go at the start, middle, or the end, or what was happening when the character said the quote) but apparently if you do this you can't get over a 5? Is this true? Do you have to put which act your quote comes from to get a high grade?
jennaa21
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
no you dont need to put the act or scene, my advice is to embed quotes within ur sentences
kinglarry_2
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sophia_456)
I really like English literature and i want to do well. I've never put the act or scene which my quotes come from (i just go at the start, middle, or the end, or what was happening when the character said the quote) but apparently if you do this you can't get over a 5? Is this true? Do you have to put which act your quote comes from to get a high grade?
that cannot be further from the truth. Good essays will quote bits from the play where needed to justify and to prove the argument. this means it is actually more convincing to contextualise the quote by saying what happens there rather than saying what act it was from.

For example, the argument

"Banquo's words *insert quote* after his first encounter with the witches shows his skepticism of the supernatural and the foreshadowing of Macbeth's downfall is embedded in his speech. This is proven by how Macbeth, during his duel with Macduff, echoes the line banquo said during their first encounter with the witches."

is much more convincing than

"Banquos words *insert quote* in 1.3 shows his skepticism of the supernatural and the foreshadowing of Macbeth's downfall is embedded in his speech. This is proven by how Macbeth, in 5.8, echoes the line banquo said during their first encounter with the witches."

the second one gives good quotations but for an examiner, the quotes arent contextualised enough. In the first one, the answer shows the examiner a clear understanding of the entire structure of the play where the second one looks like the candidate just memorised a load of quotes.

For example, the second mentions the "supernatural" but the examiner would actually have to find the passage in 1.3 to realise the candidate is talking about the witches and hence explains their argument, but the first contextualises the point and quotation well enough for the examiner to simply read on and understand the point.

Hope thats helpful
kinglarry_2
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
also is this the shakespeare play for Eng Lit 2 or for the 1M modern prose/drama cos if its the former, then u got a bit of time to prepare
sophia_456
Rep:
(Original post by kinglarry_2)
also is this the shakespeare play for Eng Lit 2 or for the 1M modern prose/drama cos if its the former, then u got a bit of time to prepare
thank you so much! that's so helpful! i have romeo and Juliet and Inspector calls this Wednesday on the same day
kinglarry_2
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
thank you so much! that's so helpful! i have romeo and Juliet and Inspector calls this Wednesday on the same day
Oh, that's interesting, my Macbeth paper isnt until next month, well, anyway, good luck for Wednesday!
Alice sanderson
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Are you doing pearson edexcel gcse? I have the exam on Wednesday too and I've never put in any scene/act references and have never been marked down for it- I've also had a look at some specimen answers that did well and none of them have it either
sophia_456
Rep:
(Original post by Alice sanderson)
Are you doing pearson edexcel gcse? I have the exam on Wednesday too and I've never put in any scene/act references and have never been marked down for it- I've also had a look at some specimen answers that did well and none of them have it either
no i do eduqas, but after a bit of research it turns out you dont really need to put the act or scene so dont worry
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (24)
32.88%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (34)
46.58%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (14)
19.18%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.37%

Watched Threads