English language requirements

Watch this thread
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi there
I am an international student holding an offer for BSc Economics
I noticed that Cambridge CIE First Language English with Merit (or Grade 2) in the Speaking and Listening test or five years education in English is an acceptable language certificate.
I don't have a separate score for the listening and speaking component, but I indeed have been taught in the medium of English in the most recent 5 years, how should I confirm my education background with LSE?
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Did you read about "Cambridge CIE First Language English with Merit (or Grade 2) in the Speaking and Listening test or five years education in English" on this page?

Do you have an IGCSE English (Language) as a first language? The specification for the CIE IGCSE, here, says:

Component 4 – Speaking and Listening Test
Individual Talk and Conversation, approximately 10–12 minutes in total, 40 marks
This component is separately endorsed with grades of pass, merit or distinction. Marks for Component 4 do not contribute to a candidate’s overall grade.
It is this test which the LSE are referring to. If you took CIE's IGCSE First Language English (code 0990), I can't understand why you "don't have a separate score for the listening and speaking component".

With regards to the "or five years education in English" part of their requirement, this again is within the context of having taken "IGCSE English (Language) as a first language". Have you?

I think is probably safest to double-check with them that you meet the English Language requirements - just in case.
Rep:
I have taken IGCSE CIE English as a first Language with an achieved score of A, the syllabus code is 0500, and it was a centre-assessed grade(I took it in China), for some reason CIE didn't give our batch of students a score for listening and speaking. is it the case that LSE only accepts 0990 EFL?
Rep:
I have taken IGCSE CIE English as a first Language with an achieved score of A, the syllabus code is 0500, and it was a centre-assessed grade(I took it in China), for some reason CIE didn't give our batch of students a score for listening and speaking. is it the case that LSE only accepts 0990 EFL?
(Original post by DataVenia)
Did you read about "Cambridge CIE First Language English with Merit (or Grade 2) in the Speaking and Listening test or five years education in English" on this page?

Do you have an IGCSE English (Language) as a first language? The specification for the CIE IGCSE, here, says:

It is this test which the LSE are referring to. If you took CIE's IGCSE First Language English (code 0990), I can't understand why you "don't have a separate score for the listening and speaking component".

With regards to the "or five years education in English" part of their requirement, this again is within the context of having taken "IGCSE English (Language) as a first language". Have you?

I think is probably safest to double-check with them that you meet the English Language requirements - just in case.
DataVenia
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 2324314141)
is it the case that LSE only accepts 0990 EFL?
0990 and 0500 are the same syllabus, they're just graded differently. 0990 is graded 9 - 1 and 0500 is graded A - G.

Interestingly, the 0500 specification says that the Speaking and Listening Test component is graded as a number:

Component 4 – Speaking and Listening Test
Individual Talk and Conversation, approximately 10–12 minutes in total, 40 marks
This component is separately endorsed with grades of 1 (high) to 5 (low). Marks for Component 4 do not contribute to a candidate’s overall grade.
The fact that the LSE requirement says "with Merit (or Grade 2)" must mean that they accept 0990 or 0500. However, as you don't have your grade for that, I don't see how you can use this as evidence of your English Language proficiency (although it is clear that you are proficient, given your posts here).

This leaves you relying in the "or five years education in English" clause within that sentence. Your original post says, "I indeed have been taught in the medium of English in the most recent 5 years". So you meet the requirement.

I'm just not sure how you're supposed to prove that you meet that requirement. This is why I said you should check with the LSE.
Rep:
0990 and 0500 are the same syllabus, they're just graded differently. 0990 is graded 9 - 1 and 0500 is graded A - G.

Interestingly, the 0500 specification says that the Speaking and Listening Test component is graded as a number:

The fact that the LSE requirement says "with Merit (or Grade 2)" must mean that they accept 0990 or 0500. However, as you don't have your grade for that, I don't see how you can use this as evidence of your English Language proficiency (although it is clear that you are proficient, given your posts here).

This leaves you relying in the "or five years education in English" clause within that sentence. Your original post says, "I indeed have been taught in the medium of English in the most recent 5 years". So you meet the requirement.

I'm just not sure how you're supposed to prove that you meet that requirement. This is why I said you should check with the LSE.
Thank you for your help, I have already contacted them around 10 days ago and they haven't yet replied, the switchboard doesn't seem to get through either. Do you know if there are any other ways I can get to them?
DataVenia
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
When you say, "I have already contacted them around 10 days" by what means did you contact them? That's relevant in order to adequately answer your question as to whether I know of any "any other ways" to contact them.
Rep:
I have sent them an email to the Undergraduate admission office via: [email protected] and [email protected] and I tried calling them through their switchboard hotline, which is 0207 955 7125, and an alternative line +44 (0)20 7405 7686. Do you know if they have any other medium where I can speak to one of their staff? many thanks
When you say, "I have already contacted them around 10 days" by what means did you contact them? That's relevant in order to adequately answer your question as to whether I know of any "any other ways" to contact them.
DataVenia
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
You could try the "Contact us on Live Chat" or "Complete our enquiry Form" buttons on their Contact Student Marketing, Recruitment and Study Abroad page, which says they can be used, "If you have any questions about applying to or studying at LSE, you're welcome to get in touch with LSE's Student Marketing, Recruitment and Study Abroad (SMRSA) team."
Rep:
I will try now, thank you very much for your help.
You could try the "Contact us on Live Chat" or "Complete our enquiry Form" buttons on their Contact Student Marketing, Recruitment and Study Abroad page, which says they can be used, "If you have any questions about applying to or studying at LSE, you're welcome to get in touch with LSE's Student Marketing, Recruitment and Study Abroad (SMRSA) team."
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads