Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I play clarinet reasonably well. I want to learn something else as well, but still keep on with the clarinet.
    any advice? I don't know whether I'm brave enough to take on something stringed - and what that would be?
    Considering bassoon or oboe, but wondering about their pros/cons coming from clarinet...
    Or maybe 'just' have a go at sax (it is reasonably similar right?..)?

anyway I'm itching to have a go at something but I have got no idea and obviously no other instruments, so any help much appreciated :-)

ReputationRep:
    sax

ReputationRep:
    My brother moved from clarinet to saxophone and found it a pretty easy switch, the only problem was the embrochure but even then it's just a matter of just getting used to it.

ReputationRep:
    embark on a challenge, start a stringed instrument.
    My advice is choose one whose pitch register pleases you, for example i play the violin, but im not a fan of the Double bass because its so low in its register. Stringed instruments are beautiful when played well, go for it:P

ReputationRep:
    Piano, everyone likes the piano, although i suppose thats stringed :p:

ReputationRep:
    sax would be the logical choice, although there are so many instruments to choose from.

My advice would be to think about two things, sound and technique. How dedicated are you to developing a new technique? Some instruments are significantly harder to learn than others, and require a significant amount of time to be put into them. If you don't like the sound of an insturment then there is no point getting it.

You need to find an instrument that is an appropriate level of difficulty and a sound which you really like. Nobody here can find one within those limits for you, although we will advice about how difficult they are :p:

ReputationRep:
    Clarinet to Sax and vica versa is relativly easily as the general technique is similar...

So that would be easy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelly_Beans_=])
    Technically a percussion instrument, I would say. I agree with learning the piano though, but then again I've been playing for 12 years so I'm fairly biased. What I've found with the piano when compared with other instruments is that the piano teaches you a lot of useful theory and technique, and helps you 'feel' the music better, so I always found things easier to play even on other instruments as I had a greater understanding of the pieces. Of course, mine might be an isolated experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin7)
    sax
    Yes please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dheemal)
    but im not a fan of the Double bass because its so low in its register. Stringed instruments are beautiful when played well, go for it:P
    thats the idea... anyway most bass + piano pieces are actually quite high - you just need to be quite good to play up there cleanly

ReputationRep:
    Piano is great to play and I find it helpful for playing other instruments (e.g. reading another cleff etc.) Why not go for a complete change and learn a string or brass instrument? Or if you play in orchestras/bands, why not choose one that you really love the parts/sound of? I play violin and although I love it, I've always wanted to have a go at the cello...maybe one day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brook Taylor)
    Technically a percussion instrument, I would say. I agree with learning the piano though, but then again I've been playing for 12 years so I'm fairly biased. What I've found with the piano when compared with other instruments is that the piano teaches you a lot of useful theory and technique, and helps you 'feel' the music better, so I always found things easier to play even on other instruments as I had a greater understanding of the pieces. Of course, mine might be an isolated experience.
    I find this as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobagnall)
    Clarinet to Sax and vica versa is relativly easily as the general technique is similar...

So that would be easy...
    Hmm have to disagree slightly. Yes, there are similarities, but the embouchure is a lot different to what some people think. Also a lot of people find it harder to start off on saxophone and then go to clarinet. I know that this is not applicable in this case, but just thought I would mention it!

OP: Saxophone would be seen as the logical choice and a lot of players (clari or sax) play both. I agree with piano though in that, you could pick up a sax whenever and get to a decent standard fairly quickly with the correct teacher, whereas piano perhaps may take you longer but would also be very useful .

ReputationRep:
    I went from Piano aged 4 > Clarinet aged 9 > Bass Clarinet aged 11 > Violin (failed drastically) aged 12 > Sax aged 14 > Guitar aged 19

With the exception of the violin, I still play all of them now grade 5 and above.

Just try what you would feel comfortable with - a new instrument is always challenging but brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    I don't find sax and clarinet very similar at all. But I went from sax to clarinet so maybe it's different.

Clarinet and bassoon seem a nice pairing that I've come across a few times.
    Similar fingering in the lower register. Bassoon is a nice uncommonish instrument that will make you more desirable in orchestras and stuff.
    I didn't find that starting bassoon was difficult really, just getting the head around bass clef (tenor clef is a bit of a pain later as well)
    Oh yeah, bassoon is awesomeeee!

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, even though I play it, I wouldn't reccomend oboe unless you're really commited as it's a really hassle and can easily get you frustrated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelly_Beans_=])
    Piano is a percussion instrument.

And french horn ftw!! do that!!!

ReputationRep:
    Piano is a percussion instrument
    i know that :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    Bass clarinet? Or flute actually, sometimes if you end up getting gigs in pit orchestras or something (might be a path you consider going down for fun or future career?) they like you to double on flute.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.