University of Plymouth Or University of South Wales for Finance

Watch this thread
Jolyn.
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’ve been offered a place in Plymouth for international finance and South Wales(USW) for Finance,Banking and Investment degree courses respectively.Plymouth is ranked as a better university overall according to QS ranking but not prominent in ranking for finance courses. USW is ranked top 25 for accounting and finance courses by The Guardian but over 1000 in uni ranking.Hence I was wondering should I choose university based on subject of overall ranking. I plan to work around Bristol/Cardiff area upon graduation, so if I graduate from USW I will be competing with Swansea/Cardiff grads. Would Plymouth degree be more beneficial for me (closer in ranking) or should I get a USW degree because it’s better in Finance.Thanks
DryTowel
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
What do you plan to do in finance? Its tough to give accurate advice without knowing what specifically you're planning- asset management? Actuary? Capital markets?
Jolyn.
Rep:
(Original post by DryTowel)
What do you plan to do in finance? Its tough to give accurate advice without knowing what specifically you're planning- asset management? Actuary? Capital markets?
I’m not sure about my exact career path yet, but at the moment it’s inclined to banking, investment portfolio or financial. Both university courses modules would probably enable me to fulfil these occupation.

Just worried about ranking and job prospect with the degree…
DryTowel
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Imo, best way to find out job prospects is to look at LinkedIn- search up the uni and course and look at the kind of jobs people with that background tend to land out of uni. Now, keep in mind I'm not claiming its even close to perfect data as correlation isn't causation but its better than going off anecdotes.
Jolyn.
Rep:
(Original post by DryTowel)
Imo, best way to find out job prospects is to look at LinkedIn- search up the uni and course and look at the kind of jobs people with that background tend to land out of uni. Now, keep in mind I'm not claiming its even close to perfect data as correlation isn't causation but its better than going off anecdotes.
Thanks, tried doing that but most of Plymouth results are to do with marine studies and my LinkedIn search for the month have reached
University of Plymouth Postgraduate Student Rep
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jolyn.)
I’ve been offered a place in Plymouth for international finance and South Wales(USW) for Finance,Banking and Investment degree courses respectively.Plymouth is ranked as a better university overall according to QS ranking but not prominent in ranking for finance courses. USW is ranked top 25 for accounting and finance courses by The Guardian but over 1000 in uni ranking.Hence I was wondering should I choose university based on subject of overall ranking. I plan to work around Bristol/Cardiff area upon graduation, so if I graduate from USW I will be competing with Swansea/Cardiff grads. Would Plymouth degree be more beneficial for me (closer in ranking) or should I get a USW degree because it’s better in Finance.Thanks
Hi Jolyn,

Congratulations on your offer! Well done

I am a current International student at Plymouth and I am from the Faculty of Business. I am unable to tell you which university is the best out of the two as I have only studied with Plymouth, but I can tell you why I chose to study at Plymouth. The main reason I chose Plymouth is because of it's university rankings and course content. I had no idea how I would like this city or my course before I came to Plymouth as I was an international, but I can tell you now that it was one of the best decisions I made myself!
Plymouth Business School has a range of courses and the best thing about it is that the content is very interesting. I did Marketing Management and we had workshops, seminars, guest lectures and also field trips!
I am now a postgraduate student and I had colleagues who chose to do the finance programme for their postgraduate studies. Feedback I got from them is all positive! According to them the course really challenges you and prepare you for a great career in Finance.

Good luck with your selection!

Sumalka - University of Plymouth Postgraduate student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (39)
32.23%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (55)
45.45%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (26)
21.49%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.83%

Watched Threads