What is the Edinburgh PGDE like?

Watch this thread
AlienIntrovert
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've been offered a place but am worried about the workload being more than I can handle and the possibility of being bullied by a mentor (I've read a lot of horror stories). Anyone got any experience of this course?
bex285
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
The workload is high on a PGDE regardless of where you study and the mentor will depend on your placement schools, not the uni.
AlienIntrovert
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is there any downtime? I need space to recharge after lessons so would be worried about supervising extra curriculars. I taught ESL full time but had to go back to part time as the pace and social interaction were too much. Also in terms of social media, I have music that has a following, I don't want to hide it though but would it be a conflict with the job itself (as I've read that teachers should completely nix social media these days)? (It's prog rock so not exactly the preserve of today's "yoof"').
(Original post by bex285)
The workload is high on a PGDE regardless of where you study and the mentor will depend on your placement schools, not the uni.
Last edited by AlienIntrovert; 1 month ago
bex285
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AlienIntrovert)
Is there any downtime? I need space to recharge after lessons so would be worried about supervising extra curriculars. I taught ESL full time but had to go back to part time as the pace and social interaction were too much. Also in terms of social media, I have music that has a following, I don't want to hide it though but would it be a conflict with the job itself (as I've read that teachers should completely nix social media these days)? (It's prog rock so not exactly the preserve of today's "yoof"').
Extra curriculars would be completely up to you as to whether you wanted to get involved or not. You will not be on a full timetable even by the end of your last placement so there will be downtime (generally spent planning lessons/completing paperwork etc).
As for the social media, I'm not really sure, sorry!
EIL3EN
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Have you spoken to Edinburgh about how you'd be expected to use your time and the support available? They might be able to help you with your specific concerns.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.58%
As I expected (24)
30.38%
Harder (29)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.33%

Watched Threads