Changing my dissertation *title* at the last minute?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Just want to preface this by saying that I want to change only the phrasing of my dissertation title. The topic and contents of my thesis would remain exactly the same.

Basically, my dissertation is due in at the end of this week. I had an extension, so have been able to see all my friends post their dissertations on social media in the mean time, and their titles all sound super impressive! At the moment, my title is phrased just as my question on it's own. But I want to add a quote to sound more impressive. So instead of (hiding my actual title for anonymity) "How Can This be Explained by This Theory?", it would be "'This Theory is Great': How Can This be Explained by This Theory?", or something similar.

Because I got an extension, I can't ask my supervisor about this, as they won't provide help beyond the advertised deadline. The title itself isn't actually marked, unless it's wildly out of context from the rest of the dissertation. But I don't want to take the risk of messing up my whole thesis with an unapproved title. Would it be a bad idea to change it now?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
The original title is better?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Don't change it.
(Original post by Anonymous)
Just want to preface this by saying that I want to change only the phrasing of my dissertation title. The topic and contents of my thesis would remain exactly the same.

Basically, my dissertation is due in at the end of this week. I had an extension, so have been able to see all my friends post their dissertations on social media in the mean time, and their titles all sound super impressive! At the moment, my title is phrased just as my question on it's own. But I want to add a quote to sound more impressive. So instead of (hiding my actual title for anonymity) "How Can This be Explained by This Theory?", it would be "'This Theory is Great': How Can This be Explained by This Theory?", or something similar.

Because I got an extension, I can't ask my supervisor about this, as they won't provide help beyond the advertised deadline. The title itself isn't actually marked, unless it's wildly out of context from the rest of the dissertation. But I don't want to take the risk of messing up my whole thesis with an unapproved title. Would it be a bad idea to change it now?
Anonymous #1
Do you think so? I've found a quote from a proponent of my theory and really like it. But I guess you're right that the original title is clearer and focused on my thesis.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
You're likely just anxious about the deadline.
Take a moment to rest/relax, then resume your own work.
Don't compare yourself with other students.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Muttley79)
Don't change it.
To be fair, I need to hear this. I was actually fine with my title until I saw my friends' ones, who all use quotes and sound super smart. I should probably leave alone what isn't broken Just feel so inadequate compared to my friends!
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
A clear and straightforward title is better than a "clever" one in any case. Also often for dissertations etc titles have to be approved very early in the year and can't be subsequently changed without your supervisors agreement, and if you can't contact your supervisor you just need to keep the same one anyway. Plus if it doesn't change anything about the rest of your dissertation it's entirely meaningless as a change regardless.

If you really want to include that quote in some capacity just work it into your intro or something.
Nikonikox
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
must be a troll post
Nikonikox
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
But I don't want to take the risk of messing up my whole thesis with an unapproved title.
You said it yourself
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nikonikox)
You said it yourself
This
Anonymous #1
(Original post by artful_lounger)
A clear and straightforward title is better than a "clever" one in any case. Also often for dissertations etc titles have to be approved very early in the year and can't be subsequently changed without your supervisors agreement, and if you can't contact your supervisor you just need to keep the same one anyway. Plus if it doesn't change anything about the rest of your dissertation it's entirely meaningless as a change regardless.

If you really want to include that quote in some capacity just work it into your intro or something.
Thanks for this. You're right, I need to just leave it be. Think I just panicked about comparing my work to my friends. Besides, I just typed it in to see how it'd look, and as it happens, it doesn't look significantly better. I'll leave my title as it is.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
I don't know if this is something related to you but I did change the dissertation in the middle of year 12 about February after I was this close to giving up EPQ. It was because my first title did not have enough scope of research and things to write about but I thought long and hard about the new title which was based on a real pandemic event so it had the potential for both primary and secondary research. I have missed out on several deadlines due to long research, illness, mocks etc so I managed to finish until November in year 13. However, I had to wait until April end to sign off the candidate form and I received the raw marks worth of A* before it finally got sent off to the moderator in May. In the end, I was satisfied and relieved that I didn't give up although it was a bumpy ride. I wanted to say do not worry too much about the deadline, just go with a flow at your own pace and it's completely ok! On that note when others submitted at a much earlier date like in May in year 12 end up receiving lower grades than I got so I would say take your time and give yourself more room to improve the quality of work. It will be worth it in the end and keep consulting your supervisor for more tips and guidance.
gjd800
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
This seems mad to me. My supervisor didn't know what my title was until I submitted it. Hearing that the title has to be approved seems bonkers to my mind.
mnot
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Just have an appropriate title for the contents of the submission, if you ever go into submitting research you would want the title to be appropriate.

Look at it this way, if someone didnt know your paper existed and was searching for the answer to the question you have answered, how would they find it? with a weird title or with an appropriate one...

Its supposed to be dipping your toe into research writing not what would the Sun use as a headline...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (63)
27.51%
As I expected (71)
31%
Harder (87)
37.99%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.49%

Watched Threads